What Can I Do With Plastic Pellet Scrap?

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Covers,

I am looking for some ideas on what to do with our rejection plastic pellets.

(We are a plastics compounder).

The universal answer is to sell it to a plastics scrap dealer - BUT - I do not have anywhere near the quantity they are looking for. They want truck loads, where as I have anywhere from 50# to 1000# (Of each lot) ( 35 lots ).

The resin types of each lot are different. Pebax, TPU, ABS, Isoplast, HDPE, SEBS... the list goes on.

The materials are taking up all the space I have in my NC Area.

I need ideas on how I can get rid of this stuff and possibly still make some money on it.

Why the materials are rejected?
Small black specks / carbon contamination
The color doesn't match what the customer wanted
Pellet Quality is Poor
Physical properties do not match what the customer wanted

Each of these rejected lots is a custom made formulation - which means the possibility of someone ordering the same exact thing is slim to none. If we could have reworked the material, it would have been done, but it has been determined that with these materials, we simply could not.

I appreciate any thoughts / ideas!

Thank you!

Hi

Please consider the cost of storing the rejected material vis-a-vis the expected price for the waste. If the former is high, please give the material even free of cost to the scrap dealer. If you do not know what to do with the waste, there is no point in increasing your inventory by holding on to this waste.

If your country allows the use of this waste in a cement kiln as an added fuel, you can sell these to Cement manufacturers as a fuel.

Regards,
Ramakrishnan

F

fishtruk

:nopity:
lotsa luck. I've tried to be green both with skids and about $40,000 worth of plastic sprues a year that we can't reuse for our medical devices. I've tried and tried to get a new use for them but it's just not out there in my area........let alone making a buck or two off it. No one cares unless it's regular truckloads.

NikkiQSM

:nopity:
lotsa luck. I've tried to be green both with skids and about $40,000 worth of plastic sprues a year that we can't reuse for our medical devices. I've tried and tried to get a new use for them but it's just not out there in my area........let alone making a buck or two off it. No one cares unless it's regular truckloads.

So true. I have been searching for weeks now - and I dont even get any response from colleges that offer plastics courses.

I would like to give it away if anyone is interested - but again, I dont have the quantities anyone is looking for.

:confused:

NikkiQSM

Here is an odd question that just popped into my mind....

(And I could be completely off target but....)

If we were to donate the plastics to a college - would we be able to put a $$$ figure on the cost and claim it in the company's taxes?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Here is an odd question that just popped into my mind....

(And I could be completely off target but....)

If we were to donate the plastics to a college - would we be able to put a $$$ figure on the cost and claim it in the company's taxes?

Nikki,

Of course you would not destroy all the records that show you all knew the donated scrap was worthless!

It's too late to claim that it has any value.

John

F

fishtruk

Donations are tax deductible. Especially for a worthy thing like this. The worth is reuse of a manufactured resin with life left in it. Landfills are kinda full.

I don't see a problem except he would have more luck if he were near Akron, OH....plastics hub of the known world. (But definitely not a vacation spot as my wife would attest. She came with me when I attended a processing seminar there)

Go on the plastics dot com website unless you already are ;). See if there's someone near you who might have a need. I have no children but care for our descendant's future.

Nelson

Top Bottom