Tracking Corrective Action - Preventive Action - Simple Product/Documentation Change

C

craig-c

Hello Everyone,

We are working towards ISO 9001-2000 certification and have run into a bit of a problem with two different consultants pointing us down different paths with respect to Corrective Action / Preventive Action / and continuous improvement changes to our products. One path requires that all changes be tracked as either a Corrective or Preventive Action while the other path requires a new set of actions/documents/reviewers for any action deemed by our Quality Dept. to be a Preventive or Corrective Action.

I am seeking additional input.

Current Change Processes

1. Non Conformance -> Corrective Action -> RFC (Request for Change) -> Review -> ECO (Engineering Change Order) -> Approval of new docs -> Implementation

2. Process change (maybe the assemblers would like to change the assembly steps, documentation change) that is not tied to a Non Conformance: RFC (Request for Change) -> Review -> ECO (Engineering Change Order) -> Approval of new docs -> Implementation

3. Feature addition (adding a mounting hole in a bracket): RFC (Request for Change) -> Review -> ECO (Engineering Change Order) -> Approval of new docs -> Implementation

4. Preventive Action (documentation changed to prevent incorrect building of parts): RFC (Request for Change) -> Review -> ECO (Engineering Change Order) -> Approval of new docs -> Implementation

It has been proposed that any change made to a item or document be labeled as a corrective or preventive action and then documented as such. For a lot of the changes that are made that aren't tied to a non-conformance or to prevent a non-conformance, this seems to be an undue burden.

How do other companies handle changes that do not stem from non-conformances or are to prevent nonconformities? The RFC->ECO process has served us well for 25+ years and the proposed additional paperwork seems to be just an additional burden.

Thanks for your help.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Tracking Corrective Action / Preventive Action/ Simple Product/Documentatin Chang

Welcome to the Cove! There are many threads on the very same topic that you are asking about, all, some, how do I decide?? Take a look at some of the related links at the bottom of this thread, and try the search function.

One thing that I can tell you is that if we documented everything that we change that is all we would get done. Make the system work for you. Pick and choose on the basis of importance, risk, and difficulty. Why document something that takes 30 seconds worth of time and a flip of the switch? I am sure your consultant means well, but we all know that each system is different from all others.

Top Bottom