Quality Metrics Report for the Management Review Meeting

T

tekno9000

I am currently updating my quality objectives for the management review meeting. Our company sets quality goals for the year (Jan – Dec 2010). Some of them are in dollar values (Scrap) and some in percentages (On-time shipment). I noticed that my predecessor used to compare the objectives for last 12 months from current month. The logical problem that I am facing is that the low rejections in past will mask the high current rejections (Percent benchmarks). I intend to compare quarterly results; like Jan10-Mar10 with Jan09-Mar09.

If the goal in $ values of scrap $10,000 max. Is it OK to apportion $2,500 per quarter and make it cumulative as year progresses?

What are your suggestions? Do any of you have a better tracking system?

Thanks.

S

silly girl

I have seen this done, basically divide the annual goal by the number of periods you want to divide it into. At my previous employer we had this divided into weekly buckets. That might be overkill, but it was helpful for trending actual in comparison to the 'budget.'

Anything you can do to illuminate dangerous trends is to the good IMO.

T

tekno9000

Finally I have come up with this template. I would highly appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding this form.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Quality objectives Q1 - Template.xls
    19 KB · Views: 1,587
T

tomvehoski

I would look at putting scrap in terms of % of sales or cost. Just a number value does not show the variation that will happen in any business. Sure $500 in scrap for the month looks good, unless you only sold $2000 worth of stuff that month.

T

tekno9000

Sorry for the ambiguity, the value is derived by computing scrap generated divided by the quantity produced and then multiplied by the avg. cost of the product.

S

samsung

Finally I have come up with this template. I would highly appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding this form.

Thanks.
I have made certain changes in your template:
1. Changed the year from 08-09 to 09-10 and 09-10 to 10-11 and the quarter from May-Jul' to 'June-Aug' which is actually what you are monitoring.

2. Added one more column for previous year's (base year) cumulative achievement.

Now if you see the example of customer satisfaction which shows that there was a deviation of (+)5% in the quarterly values but your cumulative value is what you were pursuing, my question is - What purpose does it serve to monitor the objective based on the quarterly achievements of two consecutive years? In this example it's of no value to monitor the current quarter's value against the equivalent period of previous year.

It would be, imo, better to monitor the cumulative value of current year against the cumulative value for the base year.

Attachments

• Quality objectives Q1 - Template (a).xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,753
T

tekno9000

Thanks for your inputs Sam. Our financial year is August to July.

The reasons I am trying to compare same quarters of two different years is that I wish to see how we are doing in terms of “different business seasons”. Are we messing up when the number of orders are more? Or there is no seasonal trend at all.

The reason that I am comparing with the previous year is that I am gradually tightening up my requirements (e.g. the goal is reduction in scrap by 10% from value of this year for the next year. This also serves as an example for the continuous improvement.

While I am still toying with these ideas, I will highly appreciate any critique / suggestions from everyone.

S

samsung

One more question Techno...What do you mean by 97% on time delivery, I mean 97% of the customers or 97% of the times the products are deliverd on time?

Why not to make it 'on time delivery in full'.

T

tekno9000

One more question Techno...What do you mean by 97% on time delivery, I mean 97% of the customers or 97% of the times the products are deliverd on time?

Why not to make it 'on time delivery in full'.

Its times the orders were delivered on time to customer. The metric to measure our response to our customers requirement.

no. of orders shipped on time divided by total no. of orders.

S

samsung

Its times the orders were delivered on time to customer. The metric to measure our response to our customers requirement.

no. of orders shipped on time divided by total no. of orders.

That's fine. However 97% is an average value that includes delays and early shipments as well. I would suggest you to monitor late as well as early deliveries to compare them with customer satisfaction trends. Both the situations aren't good since both can affect customer satisfaction, though the late deliveries often have greater impact. We do it on weighted average basis so that all the customers are weighed rationally in terms of their volume share.

Top Bottom