Is Temperature & Humidity monitoring in a Metrology / Test Laboratory required?

D

drikwah

Is it a requirement to monitor environmental conditions in a metrology lab or quality control test environment where dimensional measurements are performed? (seems like a dumb question to me but would like your responses).

AndyN

Moved On
well, it depends on what's going on in there.......

Typically, lab conditions are monitored because those conditions are the 'standard' at which the results are 'true'. For comparison purposes, with say your customer, those standard conditions will help to ensure any detected variation isn't due to thermal effects (for example).

So, if you want to assure your results, then yes, you need to have control over the environmental conditions in the lab. Of course there are many other reasons for controlling these parameters, and I'm certain our fellow Covers will oblige........:agree1:

Andy

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Some depends on the standard(s) involved. If you are discussing ISO 9001 then the answer is fuzzy.....in that if it affects quality then yes.....and dimensional equipment is in fact affected by temp, RH, and sometimes other concerns.....your measurement uncertainty from your (hopefully) accredited calibration provider (for your standards), and your own follow-up uncertainty studies will tell you how much effect the influences have.

If you are running the metrology/test lab as a lab, (1) you should use ANS/ISO/IEC 17025, whether you seek accreditation or not; and (2) that standard REQUIRES monitoring and control of applicable environmental conditions (and the standard lists several examples).

Hope this helps.

Hershal

O

Old Quality Gal

If the question is does ISO 9001:2000 require you to monitor temp and humidity then the answer is no. It requires that you follow your process and written requirements and all applicable regulatory requirements.
Is it best practice? Yes it is in my opinion.
I think metrology requirements and good practice are one of the most misunderstood and important areas of quality control.
I always try to get folks to think in terms of the magnitude of measurement and criticality of the result when deciding what is adequate. Of course in many situations other compliance standards make this less of an objective choice and move it into a more controlled approach.
Most unnerving to me are companies that because they outsource calibration and metrology services they are convinced have no responsibility for the process the vendor uses and have no need for any internal supplemental and verification process. The example that comes to mind is dropped or damaged tools, transfer standards etc.
I look forward to seeing other folks opinions.
Regards,
Mary

G

Grizz1345

I believe that the temperature needs to be controlled. The humidity control is so that tools don't rust. This is what I have been told over the years and it seems to work for this lab. We record both temperature and humidity.

Have a great day.

AndyN

Moved On
If the question is does ISO 9001:2000 require you to monitor temp and humidity then the answer is no. It requires that you follow your process and written requirements and all applicable regulatory requirements.

Err............6.4 Work Environment.........."the organization shall determine the work environment needed to achieve conformity to product requirements.....":notme:

A

andygr

The monitoring would be based on the specific application parameter that you are following.
On calibration for example if you only calibrat to an accuracy of +/- .1 inch with a 6 inch max length impact of temperature would not be noticable (thermal expansion being the driver)
If you are traing to calibrate precision instruments then you would not only need to monitor but in some cases control it as the correction factors used may not work to cover the devitation from the accepted standard starting point.
For lab testing if you are performing moisture determination and the materials are hydroscopic then this could be an impact to the readings you obtain.

Look at the potential influance the temp and humidity can cause and incorporate accordingly.

V

vanputten

Andy N.

Are you implying that the requirements listed in 6.4 require all organizations to monitor and/or mesaure temperature and humidity?

You quoted clause 6.4 but I do not understand the intened application.

Thank you,

Dirk

BradM

Leader
Admin
Most of the standards that I have seen state something like “ Assurances shall be made so that the environmental conditions do not unduly influence the calibration being made”; or something to that effect.

So for evidence that the calibration was not significantly affected by temperature/ humidity, generally these parameters are monitored and recorded.

If the calibrations that you are performing can be significantly influenced by environmental factors, you would do good to control those factors, and be able to provide evidence of the control.

Last edited:

AndyN

Moved On
Dirk:
My post was in response to 'Old Quality Gal's' post. I was drawing attention to the issue that (apparently) ISO 9001 doesn't require monitoring or control of environmental conditions like temp/humidity, and was attempting to identify that there is a requirement (and not in the 7.6 requirements) to consider such items, including the conditions in a lab - since that's where product conformity work is often performed.;) Actually, it would extend to even more conditions if it affected product requiements (vibration, etc.)

(I also don't agree that ISO (simply)requires us to follow processes and written requirements......but that's another matter):rolleyes:

I should have added section 4.1 (c), since temp/humidity are (in many cases) required to be controlled and by specifying these values, that would be applicable..........

Hope that clears things up for you.......:yes:
Andy

Top Bottom