Management Review Meetings - Process Performance and Product Conformity

A

Andy Rittie

G'day

I've very recently started work as a QMS Analyst for a software development company.

To help the management review meetings become a useful tool for managing quality (rather than something that happens because of ISO) I am looking into what we discuss and where I can get useful input from management.

The one item I need clarification on is the agenda item "Process Performance and product conformity"

What sort of things do your organisations talk about under this item.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Andy Rittie said:
G'day

I've very recently started work as a QMS Analyst for a software development company.

To help the management review meetings become a useful tool for managing quality (rather than something that happens because of ISO) I am looking into what we discuss and where I can get useful input from management.

The one item I need clarification on is the agenda item "Process Performance and product conformity"

What sort of things do your organisations talk about under this item.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Andy
Ignore for the moment whether we are talking about making software programs or widgets.

The management review function is relatively straightforward.
In an orderly fashion, the management team reviews each process under its domain -
  • a process may be as all-encompassing as the entire supply chain process from procuring raw material to putting goods out the door onto a customer's dock
    or
  • a process may be as narrow as writing a line of code and checking that line backward through previous versions of the software to assure there are no conflicts.
The management team (or its delegate auditors) notes in its review whether the process is working smoothly (according to the plan) or not. Based on the results of the review, the management team has three possible actions:
  1. do nothing because everything is working smoothly
  2. decide actions to fix perceived problems
  3. prepare designs of experiments for improving a currently smoothly running process
Similarly, when the topic is product conformity, the issue is whether the product conforms to the customer specifications (internal or external customers) which were decided when the project began. This is a pretty objective activity. It may be done in stages (for a long-term project, organizations usually establish "plateaus" or check points as part of the original set of customer specifications.) The review of conformance then is limited to whether the project achieved the plateau or not.

The beauty and beast nature of an ISO Standard today is the freedom it allows an organization to conform a QMS to its needs. Some folks, raised in a era of strict adherence to a prescribed method, are hesitant to step out and actually be free.

Last edited:
C

cncmarine

Nice Job Wes! Very well explained.

Andy,

Make sure you take a look at your companies’ objectives. Measurements of Process Improvements and internal / external escapes are normally part of the objectives.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
For process conformity, at our management review we do the following analysis:

• Are we under control for Routine Key Indicators?
    • If yes, the routine is good.
    • If no, why and analyse if the Fact-Cause-Action was adequate.
  • Did we meet our goal for Improvement Key Indicators?
    • If yes, great!....now update the Standard.
    • If not, root cause analysis and back to square one for planning
  • Trends in FCA's and root causes.
  • Trends in Abnormality Reports and audit findings.
  • Trends for comments/adjustments made in production-based software

For product conformity, we look at:

• Trends in Customer Complaints
    • Root causes
    • Complaints Types/Classifications
    • Customers
  • Trends in Nonconforming product discovered in-house
  • Trends in Product Studies
  • Production numbers for rework/seconds

Hullo Andy,

I don't really have a lot to add to the previous answers, so I'll justs sieze the opportunity to wish you welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

/Claes

G

Groo3

We just started using a new framework for our management review... The highest level reviews are performed by our Leadership Team... they make the tough decisions on how we can stay competitive and meet our corporate goals.

We have 3 teams at the next level (1) Quality Review Team, (2) Environmental & Safety Review Team, and (3) Productivity & Cost Review Team. Each of these three teams meet at different times, the Quality Review takes place once a month, the Environmental & Safety Review takes place once a quarter, and the Productivity & Cost Review about once every other month (the Leadership Team keeps an eye on our profitability more often than that, but this Productivity and Cost review digs down a little deeper at the things that affect these measures).

Each team is charged with focusing on a review - the issues / audits / goals / objectives / changes / etc. - of their respective topics. Action Items may be issued as a result of these reviews. Members of our Leadership Team also participate in the various review-teams.

Our Quality Review looks at the following areas:
I. Review of previous actions
II. Metrics Review (review of Goals and Objectives related to Quality)
III. Customer Complaints (work in progress / key customers / data evaluation review / etc.)
IV. Major Issues (production / quality issues / changes / run plans / etc.)
V. Audit Review
VI. Quality Policy Review
VII. Training Review
VIII. Action Item Review and assignment

We have a basic flowchart of the inputs - process - outputs... and each Review Team has a charter.

A

Andy Rittie

Many Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for the advise, comments and welcome messages. I found the advise very useful, the Cove has become my first stop when I am unsure/stuck on anything quality related.

Since I wrote this thread we have had our regular 6 monthly audit (1 year til the big one) and received 5 observations (minor ones) and no Non-Conformances so I am happy with that.

This is my first QMS role and thanks to the Cove I have a good (albeit still learning) understanding of what QMS is and what my role should be within the organisation.

Kind regards to all

Andy

J

Jim Howe

Boy I feel like I hit the "Mother Load"! We have not as yet started formal Management Reviews do to the change over. The responses I read here will come in very handy when I am called upon to set it up. I realize I was not the original requestor of this info, But the covers just got two for one! many thanks! :applause:

Y

yesvivek

Re: Management Review Meetings - Process Performance and product conformity?

I do not know that this forum is meant for Aussies. Thanks for the info. But is it any chance others to join?

Top Bottom