What are the best books on Environmental Management Systems to ISO 14001

T

tonyjj

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to environment management systems, while i have completed the ISO 14001 Lead auditor course, i am intersted in developing a library of books on the subject of EMS Implementation.
some of the items i would like to have in teh content of the books are as follows:
1. sample procedures as required by the ISO 14001 Standard
2. sample methodologies of approaches to aspect and impact assessment
3. case studies for an office only environment
4. case studies from a variety of industries.
5. CD-ROM procedures, templates and spreadsheets
6. how to integrate ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 systems together.

i have reviewed amazon books but am aways somewhat sceptical of such reviews.

So what books do you have in your reference libary that you would recommend to a relative novice in EMS which would help to build knowegde quickly?

I could not find anything of this nature in the EMS Forum so i would encourage everyone to contribute to this thread. it could become a valuable thread in for future reference.

Randy

Super Moderator
Many books and publications out there are nothing more than a cookie-cutter, regurjitation of ISO 14001 with a bit of "here's the revelation I have" tossed in.

My library consists of:
ISO 14001:2008
ISO 14004: 2008
ISO 19011:2002
BS 8555:2003

Nothing else is necessary or required

I have found nearly everything else to be fluff, same-o same-o, and almost devoid of any real originality.

T

tonyjj

Hi Randy,
Thats an interesting comment. I got a copy of BS 8555:2003 today excellent document!

Regards

Tony

Randy

Super Moderator
Honestly Tony you don't really need anything else than what I posted, trust me.

There are some very well meaning folks out there that have published all kinds of stuff, but in the end all eggs look the same when fried

M

mguilbert

I found this book to be quite helpful with a cd rom with forms, procedures etc. Environmental Management Quick and Easy: Creating an Effective ISO 14001 EMS in Half the Time by Joe Kausek

T

tonyjj

Yes that book has caught my eye good to here another review for it.

I think with the information that you both mentioned I should be all set.

What about the other guidance documents in the ISO 14001 series? Is there one on methodlogy/scoring system for carrying significance rating analysis? What is the simplest way to do this?

Randy

Super Moderator
What about the other guidance documents in the ISO 14001 series? Is there one on methodlogy/scoring system for carrying significance rating analysis? What is the simplest way to do this?

Guidance? 14004 and/or BS8555

Simplest way to score significance? Whatever way that you decide that works effectively for you....It doesn't matter whether it works for the next guy or not, it only has to work for you.

T

tonyjj

Hi Randy

Thanks aagin for the advice.

You mentioned the legislation is relevent to the country of you are operating in.

With this company their HQ is in Ireland but are doing large installations in saudi, that could be a channege to find out the legislation written in english. Could they get ISO 14001 certification for the Irish and UK operations first? I usually use NQA.

Randy

Super Moderator
I've experienced headquarters facilities geeting things done 1st and then the company determining the progression to other locations....I've got a half dozen or so companies doing exactly that right now.

The language being used is just an administrative/logistics issue.

Top Bottom