ISO/TS 16949 Manufacturing Audits - Check List Questions - 8.2.2.2

M

mattye

I work for a Manufacturing pressing company. I need to include Manufacturing process audits bit I'm not sure what kind of questions need to go onto an audit checklist.

How does everyone else cover this?

Any help would be appreciated.

R

ralphsulser

Attached here is an internal process audit check list I developed for our use last year.
Hope this helps you get some ideas for your company.

Attachments

• Internal process audit IA-F-12706a.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 3,172

AndyN

Moved On
Mattye:

In addition to Ralph's set of questions, if I were doing a Manufacturing Process audit, I'd be asking the following questions:

Process Input - What was planned or scheduled to be made? How many are to be made, what's the scheduled run date, what delivery date is to be met and (if it's appropriate, what engineering rev. level). Of course, you'll have to find out what was promised to any customer, if the product isn't for 'stock'.

Process Controls - I'd also check to see what the Manufacturing control plans/WI's say, before I do the audit (Ralph's checklist is good, but it's more like what an external auditor would ask, not how an internal audit should be done!!):mg:

You also need to ask about the 'output' of the process to see if those meet the inout results. How many were made, how many 'fell out' due to rejects etc. How does this compare to management's objectives for scrap reduction etc.?

Just a few more things to consider. I wouldn't spend much time asking about stuff like training etc, unless the person is new/changed on the job etc.

:2cents:

Andy

A

allenlee

ralphsulser

Thanks for sharing, which is really helpful to guide the auditors to conduct process audit:D

I

IEGeek - 2006

I must respectfully disagree with the use of checklists for auditing. Checklists are a valuable tool for inspections, start-up procedures, shut down procedures etc. but to use a checklist for auditing leads to trouble. Auditing aside, for the unduly disciplined a checklist is something you pencil whip right before you punch out for the day, otherwise you will be "punished". Most (and I stress MOST) people, supervisors, managers that are given a checklist to complete have no concept behind the purpose of the checklist, they just know they are supposed to fill this out hourly, daily, weekly whatever or they will get "punished".

That being said in another thread in land far far away....

There are some good approaches to auditing and especially layered process auditing. I have attached a PDF that helps me and my team. (ok, I already uploaded it in another thread so I can't here) that thread is "Seeking Internal audit plan - Design Responsible Manufacturing company"

Hope you find what you are looking for and can apply it real world to your situation.

J

jmurph01

I must respectfully disagree with the use of checklists for auditing. Checklists are a valuable tool for inspections, start-up procedures, shut down procedures etc. but to use a checklist for auditing leads to trouble. Auditing aside, for the unduly disciplined a checklist is something you pencil whip right before you punch out for the day, otherwise you will be "punished". Most (and I stress MOST) people, supervisors, managers that are given a checklist to complete have no concept behind the purpose of the checklist, they just know they are supposed to fill this out hourly, daily, weekly whatever or they will get "punished".

well I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I developed the checklist to ensure we cover things like run-at rate, capability, etc. which may otherwise be forgotten - so really it's just a tool to ensure all bases are covered. For all of our other "system audits", which are audits of our key processes, the auditor takes the process maps, procedures, customer specifics, etc and develops their checklist from that. But for the manufacturing process audit, there are very defined criteria that need to be audited. I do these audits and it takes me at least a full day to complete....so no pencil whiping or fear of punishment here!

Also I just looked at the PDF file you posted in the thread you referenced. That looks like a checklist to me, disguised as a process diagram.....

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
well I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I developed the checklist to ensure we cover things like run-at rate, capability, etc. which may otherwise be forgotten - so really it's just a tool to ensure all bases are covered. For all of our other "system audits", which are audits of our key processes, the auditor takes the process maps, procedures, customer specifics, etc and develops their checklist from that. But for the manufacturing process audit, there are very defined criteria that need to be audited. I do these audits and it takes me at least a full day to complete....so no pencil whiping or fear of punishment here!

:)

I come down somewhere between IEGeek and jmurph01, and I think it all depends not on whether checklists are used at all, but how they're used. There's nothing wrong with using a checklist as a mnemonic device--a "memory jogger"--especially when there's a lot of ground to cover. On the other hand, checklists, if allowed to, can become sort of like blinders for auditors who believe that the checklist is the audit "bible," and never stray away from it. A qualified auditor won't let the tail--the checklist--wag the dog--the audit.

Top Bottom