Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ) - What are the TS 16949 Requirements

Satellite

Involved In Discussions
We are starting the TS transition. Correct me if I'm wrong... The standard allows each organization to define what metrics to use to control their business. That seems to remove the requirement to control a number of areas like the cost of poor quality.

The only area that I can find to call out any specifics is in GM's specific requirements from April 1999.

"Other requirements addressed in QS-9000 and not addressed in ISO/TS-16949, the Automotive certification scheme for ISO/TS, Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition, or this document shall be applicable to suppliers. Where similar requirements are contained in both QS-9000 and ISO/TS-16949, the reqirements in ISO/TS-16949 take precedence for suppliers choosing to use ISO/TS-16949 rather than QS-9000."

This seems to say that "Yah we want TS but we are not giving up any requirements from QS for you to get TS."

While I agree that the metrics used to measure a business' success should relate to that business, most American businesses I have worked with are still not "with it" when it comes to Quality. They want a "perscription"/plug & chug formula, to be able to manage it.

Long winded question...
So how do I relate the old requirements into the new ones? Which are the "real" requirements? I can see the 6-8 "procedures" for a level 1 document. How about the number for level 2?

Last edited:
S

Sam

"That seems to remove the requirement to control a number of areas like the cost of poor quality."

1- Cost of poor quality - 5.6.1.1

"The only area that I can find to call out any specifics is in GM's specific requirements from April 1999. "

2- Check first at WWW.iaob.org

"So how do I relate the old requirements into the new ones? Which are the "real" requirements? I can see the 6-8 "procedures" for a level 1 document. How about the number for level 2?"

3- There is no longer a tier/level 1 or 2 with the ISO/TS. There is only a quality manual.
There are only seven procedures required by the specification. You may have others, that's your choice. ISO/TS requires that you define your processes, again that's up to you ; flow charts, tables, etc.

Top Bottom