AMS 2750C - Guidance under AMS 2750C for when a furnace fails a uniformity survey?

D

dbzman

IS there any guidance under AMS 2750C for when a furnace failes a uniformity survey?

If a furnace fails a survey can you still use it? After the furnace is repaired, and before the next survey, can the furnace be use? If so, do you have to take any special step/precautions?

Thanks!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm not familiar with AMS 2750C but I would venture to guess that whether or not you could use it would depend upon how far off the furnace is and the latitude given in the process specifications.

Anyone here familiar with AMS 2750C?

K

Kevin H

I haven't worked to AMS 2750 C (and don't have a access to a copy in my current position), so can't comment about its specific requirements. However in the job prior to this one, I did work to AMS specifications for Precipitation Hardening Steels, and I'd guess that the 2750 C requirements are similar or possibly flowed into the specifications we worked to. We were verifying the capability of the steel to perform to specification by heat treating tensile specimens. One of the first things I did after getting the position was get a temperature uniformity survey of the furnaces to verify their capability. They weren't. We ended up evaluating the effect of the nonuniformity - very luckily, it turned out to be false negatives - good material failed. It cost us time and money, but no bad product was reaching the customer.

Based on the uniformity survey, we reduced the effective working volume of the furnaces to the area that did meet the uniformity requirements and limped along for about a year. During that time I submitted and got approved a capital project to purchase and install a new furnace capable of meeting the heat treating requirements.

Personally, before I'd use a furnace for an aerospace application that had failed uniformity, I'd make certain it was repaired and as part of the repairs would require verification of the uniformity. 2 jobs ago (13 years) we were a tier 3 or possibly tier 4 to aerospace among other industries. One of our raw materials could be used make the alloys used to make turbine blades. We had to have basically infinite record retention, because when a turbine failed it was traced all the way back to the raw materials. I personally wouldn't want to be the engineer who didn't follow something exactly in that instance.

Maybe not the most exact answer, but hope it helps a bit.

Top Bottom