Cross Section Issue - Dissecting a plastic part for measurement

P

Priss80

I have dificulty when dissect plastic part for meanurement. There is a lot of burr at the cut edge and cause the measuremnt not accurate. Can you recommend clean cross section method?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

If your questions were answered here, please consider helping others.

Thank you very much!

Danny Hoover

Involved In Discussions
I am currently looking into a dual platen, wet, Grinder/Polisher.
I found many suppliers using this search "metallographic sample preparation"
We currently use wet sanding, course to fine, to eliminate burred edges and melting prevention.
If I get any information I will follow up.
Thanks,
DH

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
What are you using to cut the part? The device used will help determine the cut 'quality'.

For example, a band-saw will leave burrs, a cut-off saw will leave a burr on the 'bottom edge', etc. With everyone else's answers, I assume this is a specific requirement that I am not aware of (so take my advice knowing I do not know the process you are performing).

I work in metal (steel, brass, and aluminum). When I have to cut a part in 1/2, I use a manual milling machine and a sharp end-mill (the end-mill is the key, if dull, it will create lots of burrs). I also have the teeth of the end-mill exit the part on the side or surface I am not checking. Then I lap the part.

This does a couple of things, I minimize the burr and I cut the part in 1/2 within about +/- .001. If you are measuring parts, when you cut in 1/2, there is some error on angles the further from 1/2 you are. Generally speaking the error is not bad even at +/- .010 but I try for perfection simply to remove the question mark.

Top Bottom