Project Ideas - Final year project in Mathematics and Statistics

F

fed-up

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some ideas to my final year project in Mathematics and Statistics Field. I was hoping you could suggest some ideas as to what I can do my project on. I dont want to do it on pure maths but something related to maths and stats. Its hard to explain. But I'll try.

when I was researching on project ideas I came across an article called Emotions and food. It described how people's reaction can make you interested/put-off a particular food. But this is more related to psychology.

So I wanted a similar thing but related to maths or stats or maybe even aero-dynamics. But couldn't find much on the net.

If anyone has any ideas. Please feel free to share them.

Thanks

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Project Ideas

Thank you for identifying this as a class project.

When thinking up a project, I usually start by asking myself how the learning would apply to my work. After all, we are learning this to become marketable, yes?

So I would consider my area of interest career wise, then ask myself how the math might have a use in that. Problem solving ability of hamsters in groups versus separate, or some such.

I'd then do a Google search using the type of math and the subject I'm interested in, to see what already exists on the topic. That way I could do the research and design an approach that would be defensible from a "why is this useful?" standpoint, as well as the design of the math to be used.

Does this help?

S

SteveK

I used to work in the FMCG area, ‘a long time ago’, and we analysed mouth-feel, taste, texture, satisfaction etc with blind trials (in-house testing) etc wrt e.g. toothpaste rather than food as such - but I believe the same idea as your post (i.e. stats/maths, not specifically psychological). I think the type of (stats) analysis we conducted was Factor Analysis/Principle Components based, so you could see what factors went together, were most important, opposed etc. In a similar vein (though with ‘real’ values rather than test subject scores), I have studied which factors contribute most to a moulded plastic component e.g. mould temperature, injection speed, dwell time etc. In this case I used DoE/Taguchi to analyse the effects of the factors and interactions – the measure being e.g. shrinkage, impact strength etc., but the food analogy could still apply if required (replace by e.g. baking bread and all the factors involved there?). Don’t know if this triggers anything?

N

nurshafie

It is a lot of topic that you may bring up. Such as application of sixsigma to increase student performance, controll chart in faculty admin or you may can choose pareto application in the class.

what is actually your intrest? bring it up!

thanks,
shafie

Top Bottom