ISM Code (International Safety Management Code) Requirements and ISO 9001

B

berseak

My business is Logistic & SCM. I have Marine Logistic in a Business unit.

Now this BU has certify ISM Code already. But top manager have a policy to implement ISO9001 also.

Who have experience about this. Pls suggestion to me. Because for my viewpoint marine man don't like a document.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
My business is Logistic & SCM. I have Marine Logistic in a Business unit.

Now this BU has certify ISM Code already. But top manager have a policy to implement ISO9001 also.

Who have experience about this. Pls suggestion to me. Because for my viewpoint marine man don't like a document.

Berseak - I am beginning to think that very few people/departments within your organization "like" procedures or documents. If your organization is determined to pursue registration to ISO 9001, you may need to ensure that your top management is committed and, if they are, you may require their involvement in helping ensure the required documents are...well...documented.

That being said, start off with documenting what is currently done...not what SHOULD be done.

Or, if it has not already been completed, a gap assessment of the current state of the department to the requirements. That gap assessment will help everyone undertand where they are and where they need to be.

P

pldey42

I agree with RCBeyette but would add:

Do your top management understand ISO 9001 and why they want it?

What does Marine Logistics do?

Do they sail ships? If so, one would surely not want to write an ISO 9001 QMS that tells them how to navigate, load and unload, maintain the vessel etc.

What do they do that requires them to be certified to the ISM code? What processes do they have in place, and what value would ISO 9001 bring to them? I think that without answers to such questions from top management the marine logistics people will quite rightly resist ISO 9001.

I suspect that they purchase marine logistics services, and cannot imagine why they would need to be safety-certified. If this is indeed what they do, it ought to be easy to encourage them to do proper supplier evaluations, management, monitoring and so forth. For some UK organizations properly managed and audited purchasing procedures are mandatory to avoid corruption, and ISO 9001 can be one way of achieving them.

Hope this helps,
Pat

P

pldey42

By the way, nobody likes documents - nobody with a life, anyhow.

The ability to persuade users of the value of the documented QMS is one of many skills the quality engineer or manager must master.

The value to users of documented processes includes:

- writing down an agreement about "how we work around here"
- including agreements about how work is passed amongst departments
- they can appeal to the agreement when someone throws bad work over the fence to the next department
- simply writing down processes concentrates minds on what works
- easier to introduce new hires to "how we work around here" instead of letting them get ten different verbal descriptions from co-workers of how to work, all of them wrong
- a reminder when they forget
- a way of capturing the best ways of doing things
- a way of capturing (in change history) methods that were tried and failed
- a way of capturing the millions of details that must all not be overlooked
- reduces "I thought we fixed that" recurring errors

Hope this helps,
Pat

Top Bottom