ISO 9000:2000 Internal Auditing Resource Books - Process Auditing

S

Sirlard

Auditing Resource Books

I still audit our QMS using the procedure method. I am now thinking of changing to the process method of auditing. I located a book by David Hoyle and John Thompson called "ISO 9000:2000 Auditing Using the Process Approach". Is there anyone here familiar with this book? Is it worth the money and time to read? Does anyone know any other source for becoming comfortable with the process approach?

A

Al Dyer

Sorry if this sounds simplistic, but how about using control plans, FMEA's, process flows to determine compliance instead of procedures.

When we think about it, the policy and procedures are already verified for compliance during a document audit. The real gist of the program it to determine if the company complies with it's stated processes.

Al...

S

Sirlard

What I am looking for is to get a mental adjustment. I have worked using a procedure approach to auditing for so long that I find it hard to switch to the process approach. Our documentation lends itself to the procedure method. I thought reading a good book would help. Maybe a swift kick would get the old brain cells corrected. Thanks for the response.

W

WALLACE

Process approach???????

Well, well.
It's been a long time since I posted here, so here goes.

Is it not a fact that, A process is the "what we do" and, A procedure is the "how we do" part of an activity???? Procedures won't go away, even within the latest offering from ISO.
Wallace.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Hey Wallace!! Good to see you!!

Procedures are here to stay, as they should. The essence of ISO, or most standards, is to STANDARDIZE practices as I am sure you are aware of. The creation of operational definitions of how to do and what to expect help to minimize and eliminate VARIATION. Variation is an enemy of Quailty.

Sirlard,

As for transitioning from a procedures approach to a process approach, for me, I don't see a great problem. Try thinking about it an the way you plan and execute an audit. Tracing, forward or backward, is an excellent way to shift from auditing a procedure specifically to auditing the process flow that touches many procedures, in part or in whole. I'm not aware of any texts out there that are specifically focused on the transition form standard to standard, but you might find it useful to read books on auditing that might lend to finding your answers. My two recommendations are The Quality Audit, by Charles Mills and the CQA Primer from the Indiana Quality Council (Bill Whortman). You might find them as useful as I did.

Regards,

Kevin

towxg

Involved In Discussions
If you want to audit your QMS using the process method,you must change your procedure to process oritented,it is too difficult to audit in method of process while your QMS is not process-focused.

Top Bottom