Presenting TOP 10 diseases (Number of in-patients by diseases) in our hospital

D

D.Salman

Dear Experts,
Kindly, I am looking for a way to present (by using one of the available graphs) the TOP 10 diseases (Number of in-patients by diseases) in our hospital on a quarterly basis, the problem is, if I want to compare between first and second quarters, sometimes a certain diseases is one of the TOP 10 in Q1 and not one of the TOP 10 during Q2, so how can I depict this issue?
Many thanks in advance.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Presenting TOP 10 diseases

I wouldn't make this harder than it needs to be.

If you are comparing the same diseases from time period to time period, I would use a histogram with paired bars or stacked bars.

If one or more of the top 10 diseases is replaced by a different one, you could use two histograms; one for each quarter.

I would be tempted to add another bar to the stacked or paired bar histogram; one of the original 10 would show the first quarter's figure only, while the 11th would show the second quarter's disease only. It seems to me this would most clearly communicate the trending from one period to the next.

C

chergh - 2008

Another option may be to use pie charts.

With a pie chart you could show the top 10 as individual segments and have an 11th segment as others. You can then use a split to give a breakdown of the others. i have attached an example of what I mean as I don't find it easy to explain.

Attachments

• split pie example.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 190

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Dear Experts,
Kindly, I am looking for a way to present (by using one of the available graphs) the TOP 10 diseases (Number of in-patients by diseases) in our hospital on a quarterly basis, the problem is, if I want to compare between first and second quarters, sometimes a certain diseases is one of the TOP 10 in Q1 and not one of the TOP 10 during Q2, so how can I depict this issue?
Many thanks in advance.

A different chart for each quarter?

D

Darius

Agree with Jennifer :agree1:
If you are comparing the same diseases from time period to time period, I would use a histogram with paired bars or stacked bars.
I would be tempted to add another bar to the stacked or paired bar histogram; one of the original 10 would show the first quarter's figure only, while the 11th would show the second quarter's disease only. It seems to me this would most clearly communicate the trending from one period to the next.

But take in account, staked bars gives you the view to the trend, paired bars gives you the view to the comparison.

Maybe I would use both or add a line trend to the paired bars chart in wich I could add the "stacked" value.

D

D.Salman

Dear Experts,
I have attached the available data, you can see that diseases F available in quarter one but not available in quartet two, we have a new diseases which is Z.
Kindly, can you educate me, because till know I didn’t get the idea?
Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2007 data.xls
    14 KB · Views: 516

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Maybe try using a Pivot Table, using the existing data in the sheet. The Pivot Table can be "drilled down" to specifically identify certain things. It will also change when the data has been modified.

I was playing with the sheet attached, but it wouldn't create a Pivot Table. I will play with it some more, to see if I can create the Pivot Table and attached the file here.

Top Bottom