Recycling Thermoset Material

S

scw156

Hi all,

I've been searching for information on thermoset marterial. I found this thread Does your company pay to have plastic scrap recycled? and was wondering if any progress has been made since the last post in this thread?

I have a thermoset material that no one seems to want because it can't be recycled. I've also been trying concrete places etc. and haven't been having any luck. Does anyone out there know of ANYTHING that I can do with this? Recycle places or somewhere where someone can re-use it? I'd hate to have to send this material off into the dump.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Thermoset material

Hi all,

I've been searching for information on thermoset marterial. I found this thread (add http:)//elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=13158&page=3 and was wondering if any progress has been made since the last post in this thread?

I have a thermoset material that no one seems to want because it can't be recycled. I've also been trying concrete places etc. and haven't been having any luck. Does anyone out there know of ANYTHING that I can do with this? Recycle places or somewhere where someone can re-use it? I'd hate to have to send this material off into the dump.

Thanks for any help.

I'm not personally familiar with this situation, but there might be some help for you here.

Hi

I have been out of the theremoset domain for more than 15 years; I am aware that recycling of thermosets (phenolics, polyesters, epoxies etc.) is indeed difficult. Of course, thermoset waste can be used in other applications, not necessarily recycling. A well known example is the use of end of life rubber tyres for making roads. Now a days many cement companies use waste biomass (including thermosets which have attractive calorific values) in their furnaces as fuels (e.g. Holcim). Kindly check with a cement factory nearer to you for this use of thermoset waste. Kindly take into account the local legislation on this subject.

With best regards,
Ramakrishnan

Last edited:
S

scw156

Hi,

Thought I would post an update for anyone that has been interested in this or for anyone who is in a similar situation as me.

I contacted many cement companies and found one that uses waste material such as thermoset plastic for its burners. The catch is that they can't take anything with PVC in it (toxic) and we are pretty sure the plastic we have has PVC in it. :( (waiting for confirmation)

Good news is that as long as you have a Material Safety Data Sheet or can confirm that thermoset plastic doesn't contain PVC it can be used at many cement manufacturers instead of being placed in a dump to sit.

Thanks again to those who replied to my original question.

Hi

In general a thermoset plastic may not contain PVC; but there is a possibility that substances like Polybromobiphenylethers or polybromobiphenlys or brominated bis-phenols are present in some of them (especially in epoxies and unsaturated polyester systems to make them fire retardant). In this case it is better to check with the end-user. You may be aware that PBB and PBBE are banned in many countries.

With best regards,

Ramakrishnan

N

ngkjrs

In Tamilnadu, India, the thermoset scrap are used for laying roads (ECR - Chennai to Pondy) and in some parts of Madurai. It was successful. Why cant you try a similar project?

Randy

Super Moderator
Forget the plastic, give it to a cement plant to put in the mix. Your real concern should be the Mercury if it is present.

J

jbcjw - 2008

Thanks for the update on your situation. I too am looking for markets for thermoset resins. Can you provide the contact information on the cement company that does take thermoset resin?

Thanks in advance:)

Hi,

Thought I would post an update for anyone that has been interested in this or for anyone who is in a similar situation as me.

I contacted many cement companies and found one that uses waste material such as thermoset plastic for its burners. The catch is that they can't take anything with PVC in it (toxic) and we are pretty sure the plastic we have has PVC in it. :( (waiting for confirmation)

Good news is that as long as you have a Material Safety Data Sheet or can confirm that thermoset plastic doesn't contain PVC it can be used at many cement manufacturers instead of being placed in a dump to sit.

Thanks again to those who replied to my original question.

M

Mike57 2008

I too like many on this site is looking for ways to dispose of the thermoset waste we genarate with our process.

Can anyone help??

T

tsbutt

can you explain me that can we re use thermoset (polyester resin) by gringing in to nano particals:D

Top Bottom