How do I begin implementing HACCP? Flexible food packaging

B

BarryLeRoux

I run my family's factory that prints (gravure), laminates and slits flexible packaging. Our customers (food companies) are putting pressure on us to become HACCP accredited, but we dont have the necessary funds available to have a 3rd party take care of this for us, so I am trying to do whatever I can to implement HACCP myself with the help of my colleagues, as this is our only option.

Please give me some guidance as to where I should start :frust:

Thank you in advance :thanx:

Barry.

Randy

Super Moderator
Roughly this...The information is readily available and probably through your government.

Also try this as a method ISO 22000:2005 - Food safety management systems —Requirements for any organization in the food chain

Preliminary Work
• Assemble HACCP Team
• Describe product
• Identify intended use
• Construct flow diagram
• Onsite confirmation of flow diagram

7 Principles of HAACP
• Conduct a Hazard Analysis
• Determine CCPs (Critical Control Point)
• Establish Critical Limits for each CCP
• Establish monitoring procedures for each CCP
• Establish corrective actions
• Establish verification procedures
• Establish record keeping and documentation procedures

The Codex Alimentarius Commission
Was created in 1963 by the Food Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO). It is the role of this international committee to develop food standards, guidelines and related texts (eg. codes of practice) with the purpose to protect consumer health, ensure fair food trade practices, and promote coordination of all food standards work undertaken by international governmental and non governmental organizations.

Publications
Codes of Practice
Basic Texts on Food Hygiene
Recommended International Code Of Practice General Principles Of Food Hygiene
HACCP System And Guidelines For Its Application
Principles For The Establishment And Application Of Microbiological Criteria For Foods
Principles And Guidelines For The Conduct Of Microbiological Risk Assessment

Codex published their HACCP document in 1991 and have released revisions since. The international community has for the most part embraced the Codex guidelines.

B

BarryLeRoux

Thanks gentleman, and thanks Randy for the in-depth explanation.

I will be in touch once I have got my head around all this.

Many thanks! :thanx:

Top Bottom