How do I deal with a company where there is no centralized quality function?

S

sherry

Who's minding the store?

What words of wisdom could you provide to a company that does not have a separate QC function? And, the company does not have an established (formal or informal) quality plan or system.

All departments; Manufacturing, Eng., Sales, service, and Finance have just taken responsibility and accountability for Quality control within their individual departments.

(As far as I’m concerned when this change was made nobody really knew what kind of impact it could (will) have. I do not feel management or even personnel within the department(s) truly understand the methodology of Quality.)

The departments do not have to report on their process, yields, error's, etc. (because thier responsibile); therefore, its like a kid in the candy store, who will know the difference?

I want to provide objective evidence (not just my thought's) this is not the preferred method in managing a company with such diversity. We are about 220 employees and obviously not ISO certified..........

Thanks for your help

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Sherry,

Divided responsibility generally means that nobody is responsible. Unless these departments have a common aim and understanding of quality, then they will ultimately drive in different directions.

Organizations need consistency in direction. This must be provided by management. The need to have an independent function leading the organization is less necessary if Senior management provides good leadership. Still, the Quality function generally helps drive the Quality initiative. Additionally, Senior Management must provide organizational AIM, the initiative to be driven.

Not knowing much about your circumstance, it is difficult to say with any degree of certainty what case you are in. I would guess by your request that you are probably in an organization who views Quality as overhead and believes that by decreeing that "Quality is everyone's job!" it will get done right. If this is true, the Senior Management has not the understanding of how Quality is achieved or recognized its need.

By the way you put it, your organization wants Quality. They don't realize that they NEED Quality. The NEED is driven intrinsically. Sometimes External Forces, such as a Customer requirement, or a very zealous Quality minded individual such as yourself, can drive the need. More so from a Customer than from you, unfortunately. So how can you get Senior Management to recognize this need? That is the trick I suppose.

Regards,

Kevin

S

sherry

Good morning Kevin and thank you for comments. You actually understood the situation at my organization very well! I didn't want to go on and on with my original posting but I believe our senior management has made this decision based on ignorance.

The senior management of this company has been here for the past 20 years not knowing how the world progressed around them (speaking technically of course); therefore, they do not "know" what tools are available to assist their missions and goals.

I have tried to enlighten them as to what a quality structure can do, but as soon as I leave their office (with a vote of confidence), another managers will go in and explain how it won’t work in his/her department. Then my little road I was trying to pave, disappears……..

I wrote a quality plan and all the VP's signed it; however, it became very evident they never read it. I know this is a very TOUGH battle but I'm determined to help my company be world class. (I know they can be and should be; I just have to roll my sleeves up a little higher!)

If you have any suggestions or past experience that can assist me with this tremendous endeavor, I would be grateful if you would pass them along.

Thanks again for your reply,
sherry

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Hello Sherry,

As a quality professional for over 20 years, my goal has always been to eliminate my job and my department. In other words, get each and every person within an organization so quality minded, that I work myself out of a job.

Your situation sounds completely different. I believe your company may have taken it's first step toward closing it's doors.

A

Andy Bassett

Very interesting subject this. I seem to be able to agree with everyone.

Actually i could agree with the concept of closing down the Quality Dept, if only because as soon as one exists it tends to get saddled with the responsibility for quality, which IMHO is an unhealthy situation.

However, you can only close the QC if the company processes are clear, and the depts themselves are trained to understand what quality is and are capable of measuring it themselves.

Normally this is one of the last steps on the Quality road. Not the first. However closing the QC could be a way of forcing responsibility for QC onto depts. A drastic measure in the short-term.

Could this be what somebody is trying to do.

------------------
Andy B

S

sherry

Good morning Andy,

I'm sure your correct in the fact my company is trying to force QC onto the actual departments; however, my concern is the departments really do not know have a concept for Quality.

Most people here feel quality is just to check a part when it comes in the door, not monitor processes, verify inprocess work, etc.

If I knew people had a clear concept of QC I most likely wouldn't worry to the degree I have. You mentioned procedures, policies, work instructions, etc., well, for all practical purposes, we do not have any.....
(I'm in the process of developing a Document Control Procedure, we all agree that this is necessary.)

Thanks sherry

A

Andy Bassett

Sounds like an opportunity for a trainer or consultant.

There must be people around you or not too far away that would go along and do something like a free proposal/GAP Analysis for you to give to your Management Team.

Be prepared to be bombarded.

------------------
Andy B

[This message has been edited by Andy Bassett (edited 16 August 2000).]

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Originally posted by Andy Bassett:
....Be prepared to be bombarded.

I'll bet you are right!

I am pleased to see that your heart is in the right place Sherry. Helping an organization to World Class status is admirable, but like most of us, you lack a plan.

Well, you came to the right spot. Many wise folks here who can share their experiences with you.

In my mind, you might need to do some preparation work. Create the right atmosphere. I think a good starting point might be to ask Senior Management if they Want Quality or if they Need Quality. See how they respond. Did they use Want or Need in their answer? Do they know the difference? In my experience, most answer that they Want Quality and most do not know the difference. This allows me to segway into the difference betweening wanting and needing something. Teach them. They need to understand that Quality IS necessary for business. If they can cognitively discount Quality, then you might be wasting your time trying to change their minds. Quality in their minds does not add value and isn't necessary to make a sale, and, ultimately profit. It will take something much larger, such as a large account lost, reduced profit or sales, leading to worse. It produces negative Intrinsic Motivation leading to layoffs and filing for bankruptsy protection just to stay in business. That is emergence through EMERGENCY folks, a very External motivational factor. And, it often comes too late! Can we spare our organizations this fate?

Regards,

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Kevin Mader (edited 16 August 2000).]

S

sherry

Hello everyone,

I know the road that lies ahead is one that many have been down before but I am so fortunate to be able to network with such a resource. My dilemma is not new but the support everyone has given is (at least for me).

Most all of your responses provided me a different way to look at the situation and enabled me to take my personal emotions out of the equation. I re-read each response every morning to take the edge off. I am then able to rethink my daily strategy and approach this tremendous task utilizing your suggestions and support. I hope to write back one day and tell you how successful we are and can prove it with data!

Thanks so much for your desperately needed help,

Sherry

J

John C

Sherry,
You didn't say what your position is. If each department is responsible for its own quality, then where do you come in and how come you feel responsible for a department's quality? And, to whom are you responsible?
The reason I ask is that you are going to have to find a way of making people answerable for their quality. They can't just be responsible. They have to be responsible to someone.
This could be a very good thing, if it's handled properly. You can fall into the trap that Andy mentioned, by becoming the person who will carry the responsibility for everyone's quality, ie; you can be the quality department, or you can gather up the yield and performance figures from every department, take them to the CEO and say; 'Do you think this is good enough?" If the answer is yes, or no, you can go back and tell the departments that they either have to maintain those figures or improve upon them.
Don't give them an ounce of help. Give them advice or information, if they ask, but as soon as the yields slip, or fail to improve, hit them again. Get the yields again. Get the hours paid and measure it against the standard hours produced and ask the CEO if he/she thinks it's good enough.
Get the down time figures and ask the CEO if it's good enough. Ask the financial director if it's good enough.
If you keep asking these sort of questions, using data that the company produces all the time, someone is going to react and bear down on the departments. They'll start on the manf. dept, but they'll answer by blaming the engineers and they'll blame someone else until they're all in it. Eventually, they'll want to do something about it. Again, don't help them. Tell them the possibilities but let them choose and don't give them a chance to push the ownership back on you.
You might finish up with a rare situation where departments are really responsible for their own quality, have no-one else to blame, and don't want to.
Rgds, John C

Top Bottom