How to Internal Audit the Calibration Process

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Internal audit calibration

Can somebody help me how to audit internally calibration for TS 16949?:thanx:

Hello Maria,

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

I assume that you refer to an internal audit on the calibration process, is that correct? Let's begin with some of the overall "generic" stuff.

Refer to ISO/TS 16949:2002, clause 7.6 and 7.6.2.

Begin by listing all the requirements that apply to the calibration process (ISO/TS, Internal, Customer-specific, other..). (INPUT). This answers the question: "What is the calibration process expected to deliver to the customer?"
Next, evaluate the actual outcome of the calibration process. (OUTPUT) This answers the question: "Did the calibration process deliver the expected outcomes?"

When input requirements meet the output requirements, you can say that the process is effective. This is part of what is known as the "process approach" to auditing.

If there is a difference between what was expected and what actually happened, then the calibration process needs to be further investigated in terms of the contributing elements in the process such as:
  • People
  • Materials
  • Information
  • Environment
  • Equipment
  • Other
You can use a diagram such as a turtle diagram (see examples in the forum) to break down the calibration process in its contributing elements. From there you could develop a list of audit points that you would like to verify.

I'm sure you'll hear from my Fellow Covers.

Hope this helps a little.

Stijloor.

Last edited:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: How to audit the calibration process?

Hello Maria,

Attached is a very simple Turtle Diagram of a gage calibration process.
Do not interpret this thing as "mandatory, best practice, required, or otherwise." It is meant to be an example of how a process such as calibration could be "pictured" for the benefit of audit preparation. Feel free to customize this thing as you see fit.

Stijloor.

Attachments

• Turtle Diagram (Calibration).ppt
    40 KB · Views: 3,303

AndyN

Moved On

Maria:

There are going to be a lot of helpers here, but I have a few questions which will help you prepare to audit the calibration sytem, which you should answer first - to get you an appropriate answer..........effective auditing is not just a case of taking someone's checklist or turtle and trying to use it!:mg:

Is the person going to audit the calibration system experienced in calibration or not? It's better to have someone who understands calibration to do the audit, otherwise the auditor should have some training on calibration, especially since this is a TS based system. That means the auditor will have to be familiar with the MSA too.:yes:

Is this a new calibration system? If you are auditing the calibration system for the first time, then you have a big audit to plan. just taking a simple 'turtle diagram' and expecting it to cover all the requirements is not going to be very effective. The example posted is a simple one and could be used to expand, but without the knowledge of the calibration system, you shouldn't use it on it's own.:nope:

If the system is not new, then what area of calibration is causing problems? it's better to audit based on trying to find why problems exist or if there's new equipment etc., to see if the system is being followed.:yes:

I know that if you try to answer these questions first you will get a better audit result than just going to do an audit 'blind'.:cool:

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Spot on Andy. This piece of good advice should be applicable to all processes that anybody is going to audit.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Maria, Stijloor and Andy pretty much covered this. I did want to mention two small things.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong, guys) their suggestions are with a basic assumption that you have competent internal auditors who have had some training.

A core competency in internal auditing should also be a basis here.

Too, both guys are exactly right of having someone who knows about calibration to do the auditing. However, remember to maximize objectivity and impartiality with the auditors.

Yes, that can be a bit challenging, especially in a smaller company; but it can be done.

Oh, and if you want, surf through many of the posts here on setting up calibration labs, calibration failures and followups, etc. The Cove is a pretty good source of knowledge.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Maria, Stijloor and Andy pretty much covered this. I did want to mention two small things.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong, guys) their suggestions are with a basic assumption that you have competent internal auditors who have had some training.

A core competency in internal auditing should also be a basis here.

Too, both guys are exactly right of having someone who knows about calibration to do the auditing. However, remember to maximize objectivity and impartiality with the auditors.

Yes, that can be a bit challenging, especially in a smaller company; but it can be done.

Oh, and if you want, surf through many of the posts here on setting up calibration labs, calibration failures and followups, etc. The Cove is a pretty good source of knowledge.

Hello Brad,

Yes, you are right. Andy's concerns are very valid and he raised some excellent points. However, I wrote my response in the context of having competent auditors and a decent audit program in place. That's why I started with how to prepare for such an audit.

Thanks for keeping an eye on us.....;)

Stijloor.

S

shallowmike

Hi Brad, can I steal some good advice on a calibration audit coming up. During my pre-audit walk through, all was good. ID stickers in place, data base records cool, however, all four of our scales for weighing and packing final product, erm nearly two months out of calibration. How do I get round this one keeping my bosses happy. We are due a TS visit for recertification. No customer complaints so far regarding short supply of components, but guess that not a get out. If I fail audit how do we continue to supply and verify product in the absence of scales and a way to check, while waiting for calibration engineer. Our recently departed QA manager failed to renew service contract for the scales :(

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyN

Moved On
Oh Mike! How about this? Look back over the past calibration data and take a look at what condition these scales were in at recall. If they were found within the specifications - and not at the 'edge' or outside the limits, then you can reasonably show that they are still good. If this is the case, write yourself an "extension" letter and have it approved by the cal. process owner. Also, make sure this is part of your procedure. You can then decide if you need this annual calibration, especially if it's not needed - you're throwing money away!

BradM

Leader
Admin
To add a tiny comment to Andy's excellent answer, I would figure out why users were using the balances with past due status. Maybe some training is in order.

Is it not possible to get a local, competent vendor in to calibrate them?

Do you have some weights to check the balance out?

Last edited:
Top Bottom