What is real Innovation? (as described by ISO 9004, 2009 edition)

S

samsung

I'm interested to know what real INNOVATION' is as described by ISO 9004, 2009 edition. How people generally look at it; means how something is declared as being really 'innovative'? Is it something new or modified or improved or just a change in view point?

Can someone cite few examples of innovation that s/he had done or seen?

Your inputs are welcomed and would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Improvement, to me, is the result of activities taken with the intent simply survive within the marketplace (i.e., keep up with competitors).

Innovation, on the other hand, is the result of activities taken with the intent to be a market leader (i.e., distinguish oneself from the competitors).

I once did a training sesson on the concept of Routine Management and several processes within it - Standardization, Training, Adherence to Standards, Results, and Failure Analysis.

To help reinforce the information - and to ensure I wasn't simply talking for 4 hours - there was an exercise that included several "rounds" of the same activity. But each time, a new concept was introduced and applied to the next round.

In this training session, I ended up having 4 teams in a hotel conference room. Not a lot of room, but enough for the exercise to be conducted.

3 teams were set-up, parallel to each other and separated from each other by a row of tables. The 4th team was in the back of the room, away from the other 3 teams.

The 3 teams that were together, seemed to improve together..."benchmarking" from each other and ending up with very similar results - including improved performance with each round.

The 4th team became creative and focused and energized and excited about what they were doing and totally innovated their way to achieving the goal of the class. They also "won" the exercise by having the best results.

That was an unexpected outcome of the class, but very much appreciated by me! :agree1:

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
I recently had to undergo a full day training on TQM introduction where Innovation was explained as a sort of massive Improvement.
I would resort to the last option provided by you, the Viewpoint. It could just be a preferred lingo to express big improvements in order to create a feeling of big ideas having gone into it.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
I do not know about ISO9004 description, but an innovation can always be localized and can be a very simple change or arrangement of things that can get same result with less use of resource or get more from the resources on hand. It can happen within department, within a plant, even within our home.
I am a bit in thought about why 'real' was used before INNOVATION by samsung ?
Are there any two types of innovation thoughts running in his mind .....
12 residence flat blocks had 12 gates and so 12 locks and 12x2 keys. One set was with security and the other 12, each with the respective block member. The members were careless and not keeping the gate locked, nor returning the keys back to the condominium manager. This created security concerns. One thought was to replace with new locks, and keep control with security only.
An other thought was to open all the 12 locks and with the keys in them, jumble them up and put back the locks. Later as a back up get duplictate keys made for safe keeping with the condominimum manager....... INNOVATION >>>

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
12 residence flat blocks had 12 gates and so 12 locks and 12x2 keys. One set was with security and the other 12, each with the respective block member. The members were careless and not keeping the gate locked, nor returning the keys back to the condominium manager. This created security concerns. One thought was to replace with new locks, and keep control with security only.
An other thought was to open all the 12 locks and with the keys in them, jumble them up and put back the locks. Later as a back up get duplictate keys made for safe keeping with the condominimum manager....... INNOVATION >>>
Another one could be a mock drill to screw the reckless occupants :tg:

Few years back when I was in automotive tier 1 Organization, Production guys were seriously discussing on the productivity improvement techniques. One of them raised an idea of having a spy camera in the shop floor. For which another one wittingly added, 'we'll just have a camera-like thing, that will do the job for us'. To me, that's an innovation driven by lateral thinking.

S

samsung

I am a bit in thought about why 'real' was used before INNOVATION by samsung ?
Are there any two types of innovation thoughts running in his mind ....

There are two things - innovation and invention. Invention is something that never existed before. It's a brand new thing. Now, looking at the prevailing definitions of 'innovation', one of the meanings is 'new'. But what I apprehend is that if something is new, it's not innovative and if it's innovative, it's not new yet improved (it existed before).

That's the reason I used the term 'real'. or we can frame a simple question like what's the difference between 'new' and 'innovative'?

Thanks.

Top Bottom