MS Access database in your Quality System?

B

blane

Does anyone use MS Access in their quality system.. if so... how does it work, what do you use it for??

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: MS Access in your quality system??

I'm not sure what you mean by 'using it in our QMS'.

I mean - it's a tool just like Word or Excel.

I use a database (OpenOffice.org's database) for tracking training but the QMS doesn't care what the tool is, as long as the records are available.

Last edited:
O

ontheopenroad

I have an Access Database that I use to track calibration, CA/PA, and inspection results. I am currently modifying it to add quality planning, document control, customer feedback, training, and internal audit. When I finish my modifications, it will basically be my QMS tracking system.

We have our entire audit system (planning, checklists, reports and follow-up) in an access application. /Claes

G

George Holz

Re: MS Access in your Quality System?

I use MS Access as the main method of document control. I created a switchboard which leads to tables for 1.) Procedures, 2.) Work Instructions, and 3.) Forms. These tables contain hyperlinks that actually open up the document you click on. This is the master document and only this electronic copy is controlled. All computers on the company network have shortcuts taking you to this database switchboard.

This approach has been very popular at several companies where I introduced it. :yes:

J

JRKH

Does anyone use MS Access in their quality system.. if so... how does it work, what do you use it for??

Many years ago I developed an Access Database for the recording of Internal and External rejects and for Calibration control. At that time we were a samll company (about 30 souls) and I was the entire department.
When I left the company 3 years ago I was still using the same system for a company of over 100 and a QA dept of 3 people.
As far as I know they are still using it. ;)

It worked well for recording the data and allowed me to generate a number of reports/graphs etc that were useful in tracking trends etc.

Overall I was pretty happy with it.

Peace
jaems

A

amariepsu

Yes, I created a database to manage training records. When training is required on a process, I enter all Job Titles required to be trained. Then I can run a report for all personnel where training is required, but not yet completed. It's called the 'Training ToDo List'. After training, I enter the attendance into the database, and have it set up so that they automatically drop off the Training ToDo List. It works great, but it took a lot of time to set it up. It was fairly easy to do, once I finished taking advanced access training classes. However, I did teach myself the majority of it beforehand, and it was even functional before I went to any classes.

It was well worth it, and customers, as well as registrar auditors, are always very impressed, mostly because of the ability to retreive any kind of data you want that's related to training records at the click of a button.

E

esaminc

We use MS Access to keep track of all our product that we Test, Inspect, Audit and ship. Our passes and rejects are entered and tracked in a database. We then compare the numbers via Access queries and reports to find out what our internal defect areas are. The reports show the areas of needed improvement and can be used in graph form to display at meeting for management and/or general employees.

We can also use the data to ensure all the items that are being built are making it through each department as required.

I also use it as a quick reference data base for all our interal and supplier corrective actions. Its a very quick and easy way to reference the details and track completion dates or follow ups.

T

tomvehoski

I started one back in 1992 or so (Access 2.0 under Windows 3.1) to track calibration, supplier corrective actions, and engineering deviations. I must have done something right, because I ran into my old boss a few months ago and he is still using it. I was shocked they maintained it for over 15 years.

Over the years I have written others to do audits, document control, nonconformance costs, six sigma projects, project management, purchase orders, customer orders and who knows what else.

Access is great in that you can make it do just about anything the way you want to have it done. It can become a maintenance issue if the person who developed it leaves. My first one did contain around 3000 lines of code IIRC, and I didn't necessarily know the "right" way to write it, so it might be difficult for someone else to come in and debug it. I did maintain it on the side for a year or so after I left.

Top Bottom