Ideal Internal Audit Frequency and Scope - ISO 9001

R

rahimahm

Hello to every one. This is my first post in the cove!

My question is what should ideally be the frequency of the internal audit for iso 9001?
My company had a strength of 900 and it is spread over two cities about 1000 km Apart.
At present whole organisation functions are within the scope, and currently doing audit twice a year.
Part of the organisation is under certification by external auditors and remaining is iso 9001 compliant. I have a team of 08 qualifitd lead auditors.
Any suggestions views etc

Thanks

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Audit Frequency and Scope

Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

This is a subject which has been covered many times so a little time spent in the search section will no doubt reveal a lot.

My first question would be "how are you conducting audits at the present time"? Are you auditing procedures, clauses, processes, departments, etc? This makes a difference in the number of audits you schedule.

The real answer lies in clause 8.2.2 - consider the status and importance of the processes and areas to be audited and look at past audit results.

Just rolling out the audits twice/year time after time is probably not going to satisfy that requirement really. Consider reducing the audits in the strong areas and increasing them where things are more critical or where past performance suggests they need more attention.

R

rahimahm

Thanks for the reply!
We are auditing procedures and processes being followed by each department. Some departments have gone through only two audit cycles whereas some have matured i.e. are under the scope of QMS for the last four years. What I am proposing to my top management is that the audits frequency should be revised based on the past performance of the departments.

should there be any other criteria?

Thanks

J

JaneB

The real answer lies in clause 8.2.2 - consider the status and importance of the processes and areas to be audited and look at past audit results.

Just rolling out the audits twice/year time after time is probably not going to satisfy that requirement really. Consider reducing the audits in the strong areas and increasing them where things are more critical or where past performance suggests they need more attention.

Agree. If there's few/no signs of problems in some areas, put the resources elsewhere, like areas where problems have cropped up, new areas (so perhaps higher risk). There's no point just doing the same thing/same area twice a year.

But I'd audit processes first and mainly, and only using procedures as part of the audit.

Other considerations? Risk. Where are the areas of biggest risk? Biggest value? BIggest cost to the company if things don't go as planned? Spend less time/resources on lower risk, more on higher. Use sound management sense, as always.

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Internal Audit Frequency and Scope - ISO 9001

My question is what should ideally be the frequency of the internal audit for iso 9001?

The ideal frequency? That's so easy I hesitate.....

The ideal frequency is that works the most effective for you and suit your needs while at the same time incorporating the requirements of the standard.

It's that simple

R

rahimahm

Thanks for the input!
I have come up with following criteria to decide the frequency. Most of the things I picked up are from the Cove. Any Comments? There may be some repitation
The frequency of audit should be defined based on following criteria.

a. Main criteria should be based on the ISO 9001:2000 clause 8.2.2 .

b. Departments performing under expectations of customer (internal / external) / business.

c. The results of previous audits.

d. Prior external auditors visit.

e. New situation such as new customers/ requirements, new suppliers, new processes / equipment etc.

f. Reducing audits in strong areas and increasing audits where things are more critical or where past performance suggests, they need more attention.

g. Departments/ Section showing significant interest in addressing the non-conformities.

h. Departments ISO 9001:2000 compliant/certification total duration.

thanks for your comments

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Don't forget that you can always have unscheduled audit if and when the need arises.

Top Bottom