Detroit files for Chapter 9 bankruptcy amid staggering debts

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
The City of Detroit filed this afternoon for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection in federal court, laying the groundwork for a historic effort to bail out a major U.S. city that is sinking under billions of dollars in debt and decades of mismanagement, population flight and loss of tax revenue.

The filing begins a 30- to 90-day period that will determine whether the city is eligible for Chapter 9 protection and define how many claimants might compete for the limited settlement resources that Detroit has to offer. The bankruptcy petition would seek protection from creditors and unions who are renegotiating $18.5 billion in debt and other liabilities.

http :// www .freep. com /article/20130718/N EWS01/307180107/City-Detroit-has-filed-Chapter-9-bankruptcy - LONG DEAD LINK

Last edited by a moderator:

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Heard about this on the radio during my drive into work today. Interesting news piece about it. To summarise what happened the "expert" talking to the reporter about it said the peak population happened in the 50s but didn't last long. There was encouragement for building out from the city, a moving out. Then the race riots and "white flight". Then middle class flight from black and white middle classes. That was not the whole story from what the "expert" said. Seems the city leaders encouraged the move out and had a really big hand in their own problems. Downturn in the motor industry there as it moved away. Then loss of more industry, no jobs in the city more people moved to find work. School system did not do a good job of getting their young ready for whatever work remained, etc. There seems to be quite a long period of missed chances and mistakes made by the city's leaders if this "expert" was right.

Anyway, it makes for an interesting spectacle for those not affected as I think this is the first big local government/administration to go bust I think. I do wonder whether national government has any moral responsibility towards the situation? I suspect over here there is some mechanism in place for this sort of situation. The only thing remotely close to have happened like this here is the NHS trusts that have nearly or have gone bankrupt. These have been solely down to poorly negotiated public/private finance initiatives where the only way to get interest is to give a guaranteed income / profit. This resulted in overpayment and a discrepancy between payments the trust has to make out and the money coming in. I guess all organizations whether public or private have to look to cashflow. Who was it said poor profits is a slow death but poor cashflow is instant death?

M

mguilbert

It has happened to other cities. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...s-for-u-s-s-biggest-municipal-bankruptcy.html Up until this filing, Jefferson County, home of Birmingham, Al was the largest municipality to go bankrupt. I am positive it has happened elsewhere in the US. The city where I used to live went into recievership as I was moving out of the area.

I agree with part of the experts analysis. In the fifties people moved from the countryside to the cities for manufacturing jobs. As they became more affluent they moved to the 'burbs, then farther out in the county. The cities still have large infrastructure, maintenance, and legacy costs do to the needs of the 50's, but lost the revenue as people moved out of city limits has made them cash strapped. They also like many others, probably banked on home values continuing to rise, thus raising their property tax dollars. When the bubble burst those baseing budgets on continued home value increases also lost.

M

MIREGMGR

The social structures of almost all large US cities through the 50s and early 60s were still largely de facto segregated, with a great deal of racism in key institutions, i.e. police forces. Detroit was almost 50% black by population, but the police force was about 85% white and was dominated by highly prejudiced enforcement activities and attitudes.

In most US cities, a transition to less segregated housing and shopping patterns and much less racist law enforcement was successfully implemented during the 1960s, but Detroit wasn't so lucky, and had the 1967 Riots. Prior to the Riots, Detroit had the highest US-large-city rate of black home ownership, and was making excellent progress on black household net worth due to the availability of good jobs. That all began to unwind after the Riots.

Some amount of movement to the suburbs had begun in the 50s, as middle class and well-off families--mostly white, although there wasn't a racial theme to the pattern--chose to move to new communities that offered new larger homes on larger properties with new schools and new civic infrastructure. This existing movement became a flood after the Riots, particularly among middle class families that lived close to parts of the city that were affected by the Riot destruction. The Riots began a period of turmoil in the Detroit public schools, with many black youths rejecting guidance and leadership by whites and more importantly in many cases rejecting learning itself and the standard curriculum as inherently "white" and therefore illegitimate, with commensurate increases in school violence and breakdown of discipline, and this turmoil and breakdown of educational effectiveness was a further motivation for "white flight".

Jerome Cavanaugh, the Mayor during the Riots, was widely considered to have been discredited and chose not to run again. Roman Gribbs, the next Mayor, was well intentioned, but the problems were beyond his ability to manage. Coleman Young realized for the 1973 elections that Detroit could elect him, its first black mayor, if black turnout was high, and he successfully achieved that and was Mayor for the next twenty years.

Young's blunt racially based approaches reversed some of Detroit's issues, but the schools remained troubled; neighborhood decline, housing stock deterioration and housing value decreases accelerated because of unfixed Riot damage and social turmoil plus poorly planned "urban renewal" and withdrawal of neighborhood infrastructure funding to support major construction projects around the downtown area; crime continued to increase from the increases during the Riots; racist attitudes on all sides corrosively influenced every aspect of politics and social interactions; and "white flight" became a widespread phenomenon. Retail businesses that had provided shopping for the city's prior population, in many cases adversely impacted since the Riots, broadly went out of business or, in a few cases, moved to the suburbs. The loss of retail and distribution jobs from the city further aggravated the ongoing loss of manufacturing jobs in the metro area as the Detroit auto industry contracted due to its uncompetitive cost structure and inadequate quality. Drug use in the city increased dramatically, in conjunction with the rise of several competing primarily-black street gangs that were heavily involved in various criminal activities, and competitive interactions between those gangs resulted in significant increases in the murder rates. Unemployment, and particularly black unemployment, increased dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom