Confused with 7.4 Purchasing - We provide a "service" which is our "product"

C

Cornfields

I'm near completion of our Quality Manual for our ISO9001-2008 certification however I'm a little confused with 7.4 Purchasing - we provide a "service" which is our "product". When writing our procedure for this clause I am unsure what purchasing relates to? Can anyone tell me if this relates to training, workwear etc purchasing? As we provide a service we do not purchase any parts required for a product - hope this makes sense:)

harry

Trusted Information Resource
....................... we provide a "service" which is our "product". When writing our procedure for this clause I am unsure what purchasing relates to?

Welcome to the Cove.

It could be purchasing of a product or a service. Not sure what service are you involved but as an example:- if you are in consultancy and you sub-contract part of the work to others, it is out-sourcing and controlled under purchasing.

C

Cornfields

Thanks for the prompt response - we provide home care services and do not outsource any of our services

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Thanks for the prompt response - we provide home care services and do not outsource any of our services
What are the things that you buy which has a direct bearing on the quality of your home care service. Can you think and list them down for us .....

C

Cornfields

I am wondering if we could be exept from this clause as we do not actually buy anything which has a direct bearing on the quality - our quality of service comes from the standard of service we provide to our clients (this is achieved through employee training, supervision & record keeping etc)

harry

Trusted Information Resource
We run a voluntary and free hospice home care service over here and our people carry some basic medications and others - this involves purchasing.

A similar organization in our capital city which is much bigger in size had some one come in to service and maintain their fleet of vehicles - this is purchasing.

It is very unlikely that you can avoid purchasing altogether (although I understand your position). Some time down the road you may need to. We recently decided to purchase/lease 2 new cars for the use of our nurses and this is done to take maximum benefit from the tax angle.

My suggestion is to have and keep the purchasing procedure (quite simple and is about the need to exercise some controls) as it may come in handy some days.

C

Cornfields

Thanks for your information - I can relate to the future possibilities so I will include this with simple procedures - many thanks

D

Duke Okes

I would think of purchasing related to:

- transportation of care givers
- clothing (uniforms, etc.) for caregivers
- cleaning supplies used by caregivers at client homes
- OTC items provided by your organization to clients as necessary
- subcontracted training, cleaning, maintenance of personnel/equipment/facilities

Just list what your organization uses in order to provide the services you do and you will find some that are likely very important to the quality of what you provide.

S

samsung

I am wondering if we could be exept from this clause as we do not actually buy anything which has a direct bearing on the quality - our quality of service comes from the standard of service we provide to our clients (this is achieved through employee training, supervision & record keeping etc)

If you feel you don't purchase anything that affects your product realization process or the final product, you can well exclude it from your QMS with justifiable reasons.

Top Bottom