ISO 13485 and IQ (Installation Qualification), OQ (Operational Qualification)

C

chasf

As our company becomes compliant to ISO 13485:2003 through the help of a consultant will we need to establish procedures for IQ and OQ of our CNC lathes and mills? I ask this because some of our customers are requiring this for the equipment and I am try to decide if the IQ and OQ will be additional to 13485 certification or part being compliant.

Doug Tropf

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: ISO 13485 and IQ, OQ

IQ = installation qualification - the process of obtaining and documenting evidence that equipment has been provided and installed in accordance with its specification.

OQ = operational qualification - the process of obtaining and documenting evidence that installed equipment operates within predetermined limits when used in accordance with its operational procedures.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Per 13485, 7.5.2, you need to validate your production processes. IQ and OQ (and Performance Qualification [PQ] ... and some would say Design Qualification [DQ]) are a common means to do this. There is nothing that prescribes these methods; however, as a word of caution, as these are generally accepted, you might end up being scrutinized more if you stray from these conventions - especially if you ever get inspected by the FDA.

Personally, I find these methods quite useful and thorough. If you do a good job using these methods, you should be ok on the applicable parts of 13485.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
As our company becomes compliant to ISO 13485:2003 through the help of a consultant will we need to establish procedures for IQ and OQ of our CNC lathes and mills? I ask this because some of our customers are requiring this for the equipment and I am try to decide if the IQ and OQ will be additional to 13485 certification or part being compliant.

Hi chasf,

If you refer ISO 13485:2003, section 7.5.2.1 clearly states -

The organization shall validate any processes for production and service provision where the resulting output cannot be verified by subsequent monitoring or measurement. This includes any processes where deficiencies become apparent only after the product is in use or the service has been delivered.

Validation shall demonstrate the ability of these processes to achieve planned results.

The organization shall establish arrangements for these processes including, as applicable -

a) defined criteria for review and approval of the processes,
b) approval of equipment and qualification of personnel,
c) use of specific methods and procedures,
d) requirements for records (see 4.2.4), and
e) revalidation.

The organization shall establish documented procedures for the validation of the application of computer software (and changes to such software and/or its application) for production and service provision that affect the ability of the product to conform to specified requirements. Such software applications shall be validated prior to initial use.

Records of validation shall be maintained (see 4.2.4)​

Therefore, validaion of any processes for production and service provision where the resulting output cannot be verified by subsequent monitoring or measurement, is mandatory and prior to validation of the process, equipment qualification viz. IQ, OQ and PQ is a pre-requsite.

We have lot of posts on this subject and you could use the search function too for better understanding.

C

chasf

Thanks to everyone for your much valued input. It looks like the answer to my question would be yes but only if the process must be validated. Unfortunately we are being required to perform IQ and OQ on all of our CNC equipment and I was hoping that training for ISO13485 would help equip us for the task.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Yodon and Ajit are exactly on in their suggestions.

I would say training will help. Please do understand... proper validation work will provide value to the organization. While you may not perform the actual validation work, the organization needs to become skilled at determining the functional requirements of the equipment you will be validating, and in establishing a good program.

C

chasf

Does anyone have some examples of IQ, OQ, PQ Protocols for CNC Maching? I have seen examples for other types of processes but not this one.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Does anyone have some examples of IQ, OQ, PQ Protocols for CNC Maching? I have seen examples for other types of processes but not this one.

You could amend the template to suit yours ... try this and I bet that you will understand your machine much better than before :)

C

chasf

Thanks Ajit for some reason there is no attachment on your post.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Thanks Ajit for some reason there is no attachment on your post.

Hi chasf,

MY point was that in your earlier response you said - " I have seen examples for other types of processes but not this one" so my suggestion was to amend those templates that you had seen to suit the new requirement.

Top Bottom