MIL-HDBK-217 - Understanding the various Environmental Conditions

S

skdiamond

MIL-HDBK-217 defines a number of environmental conditions. For example it has environments called Ground Benign, Naval Unsheltered, Airborne inhabited Cargo, etc. (More listed on link ) But I haven't seen what those environments are actually defined to. By that I mean range of temperatures, vibration levels, humidity, wind speed, etc. Has anyone seen any details on the actual physical conditions for these environments?

BTW, I'm not going to do predictive modeling with 217, I just want to understand the environments.

Thanks, Scott

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
It has been a while but most of the required tests for the various environments and aspects such as vibration are in standards like MIL-STD-810. Usually I went by the RFQ or contract requirements and pulled the simulation tests from the appropriate test spec for a given environment. Note that the stuff in the list is for "in use" environments as opposed to transit, storage (e.g.: Quonset Hut in xxx degrees, x humidity, etc.). Used to be you had to test for those types of environments, too. All of them had to be in the Environmental Design Criteria Test Plan.

Just a bit of my memories from when I was doing that stuff.

Top Bottom