5 Whys powerpoint .ppt training presentation - Attached

J

jbmx1

Hi Friends:

I was asked to prepare a presentation about 5 Whys for training purposes to the Mfg Engineers and I came up with this one. I refused to follow the academic approach and I kinda put whatever I have learned in my 12 years experience in the Quality area but I would like your opinion on the presentation.

Comments are more than welcome.

Regards,

Javier

Attachments

• 5 Whys Training.ppt
    343.5 KB · Views: 11,799
Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Well Done

I liked it. I think you will really get your point across, especially if you 'do a 5 why' with the group right away. It could be some obvious problem from daily life, just to help them get the practice.........

Great stuff! :)

J

jmp4429

I think the content is good, but I have a few suggestions.

-If the presentation is meant to be e-mailed to your engineers, I think the text is fine. If someone is actually going to be presenting the material in a training session, I recommend breaking up the text into smaller sections. Those long paragraphs are a lot to read during a presentation.

-When I first heard of the 5 Whys, I could not see how this technique would really be a helpful problem solving tool. It was not until I saw an example of the 5 Whys in action that I saw how it actually worked. You might put a full example into the presenationk, such as:

Problem: The press is leaking oil

WHY is the press leaking oil?
There is a crack in the oil filter.
WHY is the filter cracked?
Because it gets too hot during use.
WHY does it get so hot?
Because the cooling system isn't working properly.
WHY doesn't the cooling system work?
There is too much dust on the cooling coils.
WHY is there too much dust on the coils?
The air intake filter is missing.

Solution: Replace the air intake filter.

J

jbmx1

Thanks

Thanks for your comments. They are really helpful. As a matter of fact, I will be presenting this to a group of 20+ people and I will take your recommendation and break the text into smaller paragraphs.

As for the example, I would like to find an everyday type of case that anybody can relate to, not necessarily related to any technical stuff so the not-so-technical will take advantage of this material as well.

Thanks!

D

ddunn

Here is a real example I found on the web while searching for examples of 5 Whys.

Problem:
The Washington Monument is deteriorating

1. Why is the monument deteriorating?
Because harsh chemicals are used to clean the monument.

2. Why are harsh chemicals used.
The harsh chemicals are need to clean the bird droppings. There are a lot of birds.

3. Why are there a lot of birds?
Because the birds eat the spiders. There are a lot of spiders.

4. Why are there a lot of spiders?
Because the spiders eat the gnats. There are a lot of gnats.

5. Why are there a lot of gnats?
Because the lights a dusk attract the gnats.

Solution:
Turn the lights on ½ hour later.

Good start Javier, and good suggestions so far :agree1:
jmp4429 said:
If someone is actually going to be presenting the material in a training session, I recommend breaking up the text into smaller sections. Those long paragraphs are a lot to read during a presentation.
I agree, and as a matter of fact I would suggest a substantial reduction of the text mass. Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it, but there is an obvious risk that people will sit there reading the text from the slides rather than listening to you.

I suggest a look at this thread: Color Psychology and Powerpoint Apart from colours it also deals with no. of slides and text volume.

/Claes

B

Bigfoot

jbmx1 said:
Thanks for your comments. They are really helpful. As a matter of fact, I will be presenting this to a group of 20+ people and I will take your recommendation and break the text into smaller paragraphs.

As for the example, I would like to find an everyday type of case that anybody can relate to, not necessarily related to any technical stuff so the not-so-technical will take advantage of this material as well.

Thanks!

In many 5 why analysis I have seen / used the word therefore has been added to the format to help those using it to look at what they have constructed to ensure that each of the responses to the why question addresses the previous cause.

Attachments

• 5 Whys Investigation Form.doc
    195 KB · Views: 4,703
R

RickRay

Javier,

I agree with the comments on providing an example. Real life examples are always good. I found one small typo on page two of your presentation, under the Root Cause analysis tools. Ishikawa Charts and Cause and Effect charts are the same.

Rick

J

jbmx1

5 Why's Thanks

I am really glad that I had the idea of showing this at the Cove. I have made some changes based on your comments here. I noticed the Ishikawa chart and cause and effect duplication while reviewing it and made a note to change it but then I forgot to do it. Good catch!

Thanks!

Javier

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I hope you upload the improved presentation! We'll all appreciate it!

Top Bottom