Analytical Lab Environmental Condition (Temperature & Humidity Control Limit)

B

blueicecube

Dear Forum Members,

Xin Nian Kuai Le!

I was wondering if anybody can help me to find temperature and humidity specification for general analytical lab (chemical & microbiology work).

Thank you very much for your advice.

p/s Would really appreciate standards/reference other than NSCL since that standard is almost impossible to get at this part of the world. Thank you :)

B

blueicecube

Re: Environmental Condition (Temperature & Humidity Control Limit)

if only its for calibration lab....

its for chemical analysis and/or microbiological lab..

thanks!

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Re: Environmental Condition (Temperature & Humidity Control Limit)

if only its for calibration lab....

its for chemical analysis and/or microbiological lab..

thanks!

I am sorry.... my sleepy eyes last night missed it :)

Regarding the environmental conditions in an analytical / microbiological lab, it is purely for operator comfort. Even the ISO 14644 does not specify limits.

Generally, a temperature between 20 - 25 deg C and Humidity of 40 - 60 % is manintained.

Z

zamclachia

I disagree that the temperature and humidity is "purely for operator comfort".
The temperature and humidity should be controlled to ensure that the operating environment does not adversely effect the integrity of samples been analysed or the the integrity of the measurement.
I do agree that the environmental conditions should range "a temperature between 20 - 25 deg C and Relative Humidity of 40 - 60 % is manintained".

Here are some random thoughts:

• Possibly more importantly is that the temperature should be as stable as possible. Fluctuations in temperature does have an affect on your analytical equipment. As an example HPLC without a column oven. Even with a column oven I have seen it where the environmental temperature exceeds the set column oven temperature.
  • Volumetric glass ware is calibrated @ 20 deg. C

• A RH of 20% or less causes problems with analytical balances and electrostatic discharge.
  • If your laboratory is performing moisture or Total solids analysis using a drying oven, RH may be more important to you.
  • I would have a critical look at what analysis is been performed and the effect of temp and RH would have on my final result I am reporting. Set your limits accordingly.
:2cents::2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom