Creation of Quality Manual, Procedures Manual, Work Instructions and Guidelines

kensonic_qmr

Starting to get Involved
Hello Everyone:cool:!

I am an Industrial Engineer in a medium size company here. Our company wishes to comply in ISO 9001. and we are on documentation process. We are done doing the Quality Manual and the next process is to create the procedures manual. Our boss which is the President of the company wants to procedural almost all process in the company but the consultant only wants to minimize the procedures manual. :( What are the processes do you know that we need to do and what will we do to other processes? CAn you give me samples of Work Instruction, Guidelines and Policy? for reference use only... I am new to this type of work.. I am a QC team leader and a Production Planner in my previos jobs and i need a little help and advise for you guys!! Thanks in advance!! :bigwave::thanx:

The company is on Electronic Industry...

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

I am an Industrial Engineer in a medium size company here. Our company wishes to comply in ISO 9001. and we are on documentation process. We are done doing the Quality Manual and the next process is to create the procedures manual. Our boss which is the President of the company wants to procedural almost all process in the company but the consultant only wants to minimize the procedures manual. :( What are the processes do you know that we need to do and what will we do to other processes? CAn you give me samples of Work Instruction, Guidelines and Policy? for reference use only... I am new to this type of work.. I am a QC team leader and a Production Planner in my previos jobs and i need a little help and advise for you guys!! Thanks in advance!! :bigwave::thanx:

You should start with a gap assessment to verify where you are .
ISO 9001 requires only 6 documented procedures, but the organization can decide to have an additional number of documented procedures based upon its needs to have QMS processes that you have selected working with effeciency and effectiveness.
I always suggest that top mgmt shall sponsor the project and sustain ISO 9001, otherwise it will be perceived only as a burden from all the organziation.
All process owners of QMS identified processes shall be active part of the project for KPI, documentation, training etc...:bigwave:

AndyN

Moved On

Well, firstly, you need to resolve the differences of vision between the consultant and the boss! The boss may 'think' it's a good idea for everything to have a procedure, but unless this person understands how and why everything needs documenting etc. then you may be making a monster to feed later.

One thing occurs to me is the fact that there is apparent disagreement with the consultant! Isn't this person's role to educate management on this matter? I'd be very cautious of any consultant who failed to engage with management and help them to understand, or worse, be 'against' this client's wishes!

There are plenty of examples here if you search - however, until this ticking bomb is stopped, you'll be expecting problems down the road...

kensonic_qmr

Starting to get Involved
The consultant is not actually against the management wishes.. he is just suggesting that we dont need to make procedures manual to all processes in the company. He just wish that some of the process can only be make as work guidelines? and company policy? We will have a meeting next week regarding this and i hope the president will agree. Thanks guys!!

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
The consultant is not actually against the management wishes.. he is just suggesting that we dont need to make procedures manual to all processes in the company. He just wish that some of the process can only be make as work guidelines? and company policy? We will have a meeting next week regarding this and i hope the president will agree. Thanks guys!!

Hi kensonic,
thanks for your thanks.
Good luck to you for the project.
Only and advice form my side.
Try to manage ISO 9001 certification with the method of project management and not as scattered stand alone activies.
To avoid the failure, the top mgmt shall be educated and trained as first with a dedicated side by side counselling and support from local QMS and consultant in this case.
hope this helps:bigwave:

kensonic_qmr

Starting to get Involved
Hi kensonic,
thanks for your thanks.
Good luck to you for the project.
Only and advice form my side.
Try to manage ISO 9001 certification with the method of project management and not as scattered stand alone activies.
To avoid the failure, the top mgmt shall be educated and trained as first with a dedicated side by side counselling and support from local QMS and consultant in this case.
hope this helps:bigwave:

hehe thank you for your advice...actually, the consultant also say that the same advice!! he gave as soft copy of books regarding project management..... We conducted a meeting yesterday regarding the subject and it seems like we will be doing all the processes to have documented procedures... :nopity:

I will post here everytime i need an advice so i hope you can help us along the way!! :agree:

Chow!!:bigwave:

A

Ann Other

Hi Kensonic,
My company is just starting to implement a QMS, we have identified our key processes and are currently mapping them. Have not yet started our quality manual but do have specific ideas on the format. We have also just agreed the format for the QMS, which we felt was very important, we do not want a QMS that nobody uses except when the auditor is around.
Good luck with your procedure manual

kensonic_qmr

Starting to get Involved
Hi Kensonic,
My company is just starting to implement a QMS, we have identified our key processes and are currently mapping them. Have not yet started our quality manual but do have specific ideas on the format. We have also just agreed the format for the QMS, which we felt was very important, we do not want a QMS that nobody uses except when the auditor is around.
Good luck with your procedure manual

Thanks Ann!! I hope we can help each other in doing the same project. The QM we prepared is for top management approval while we are just starting to prepare procedures manual. I hope we can help each other Ann... Good luck to your project as well... Thanks!!:agree1:

Top Bottom