Examples of Integrated ISO 14001:2004 and OHSAS 18001: 1999 policy manuals

G

Greg Whyte

I am currently developing a policy manual for a client that integrates both 14001:2004 and 18001:1999. They want to keep things simple and contained in one central policy document. Does anyone have a good exmple they have used or some suggestions to accomplish this?

Thankyou

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Greg Whyte said:
I am currently developing a policy manual for a client that integrates both 14001:2004 and 18001:1999. They want to keep things simple and contained in one central policy document. Does anyone have a good exmple they have used or some suggestions to accomplish this?

Thankyou

I do not have clients who use OSHAS 18001, however here's one approach that may help. Many of my clients have added Health & Safety to their EMS systems. Take a few minutes to reread the ISO 14001 standard, and just replace the word "Environmental" wherever it appears with the phrase "Environmental, Health & Safety." It is amazing that adding H&S to the text does not cause any issues in the reading. It fits very naturally. Consequently, you can write the same manual, just using the broader term, and then just pick up the little loose bits in OSHAS that ths method did not address.

G

Greg Whyte

I did as you suggested and the resulting "document" is very close to what the client is looking for. I appreciate your help - THANKS

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Greg Whyte said:
I did as you suggested and the resulting "document" is very close to what the client is looking for. I appreciate your help - THANKS

Glad to help. I think it is a good approach that many more companies should take. There are many easy opportunities to do good thinks for the planet, that don't even cost much.

L

Libnani

But the safety in OHSAS 18001 considers the risk of damage of the property which is not treated in ISO 14001 .

Your quality manual will be incomplete and will not cover all the aspects of OHSAS 18001 .

Randy

Super Moderator
But the safety in OHSAS 18001 considers the risk of damage of the property which is not treated in ISO 14001 .

Your quality manual will be incomplete and will not cover all the aspects of OHSAS 18001 .

Excuse me, but your talking apples and oranges and have missed the whole thing. You cover the common stuff as common stuff and each specific requirement as a seperate item for each of the standards in a combined manual.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
We wrote our integrated manual so that it meets the requirements of ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, ISRS and our own internal BMS requirements. All of these "requirements" have one common format - PDCA. Using PDCA as the layout of our manual, we aligned/assigned the elements/clauses to PDCA and wrote the manual.

It speaks our language.

It meets our needs.

It is us.

L

Libnani

Hello RCbeyette

it's very interesting to know how you do the internal auditing .

by process ?

the 3 systems (combined) don't have the same process .

by paragraph of the standard ?

but the 3 systems (combined) don't have always the same paragraph .

Could you Please clarify your internal audit procedure (in some details please) .

Top Bottom