Help me with Surface Plate Calibration

E

Edgarf

Good Day sirs,

I have been in calibration career for only 6months in an aviation industry,can someone give an idea visual or a procedure that I can easily understand regarding surface plate calibration?

We have in our lab a Talyvel 4.0.

I have been assigned in dimensional area.I would surely appreciate any help for a newbie like me.

S

silentrunning

Re: Can someone help me with surface plates?

I am far from an expert on this but I have watched the calibration company gage our surface plates and our tech said he is looking for repeatability and flatness. Each grade and size of surface plate has different requirements. One thing I do know is that larger surface plates must have even support all around to maintain their accuracy.

E

Edgarf

Thank you sirs, I will be posting some questions in other areas as well.
If anybody knows a good calibration training videos for a starter,kindly advise.

Thanks again.

This is a really excellent site.

:agree1:

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
The calibration community is a lot like doctors. We have our own special dead language to keep out the riff-raff, and we always perform our work from memory and don't need a procedure . . . . oh, wait, that's just the medical community. Never mind.

If you don't have anyone to mentor you and are not close to any training institutions--community colleges and the like--then you can surf the web for companies that specialize in calibration-related training. It's not inexpensive, though.

Just noticed at the bottom of this page are 5 links to surface plate threads.

Last edited:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Edgarf, Here is a link to a US Navy vid, now on Youtube. It is not highly technical, but presents a basic explanation for the need to calibrate.

Beyond that, there are organizations that have on-line and CD-based distance learning that should help get you started. You may also want to get a copy of The Metrology Handbook, available from ASQ. Also, NCSLI and MSC usually have tutorials just before the conferences really get underway.

As for a way to easily understand plate calibration, reputable cal labs will provide a chart that starts with the four corners and then provides a grid approach that looks somewhat like the British Union Jack, with readings listed at specific points. Readings may be taken using a repeat-o-meter or auto-collimator. I understand interferometers may also be used.

Some links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zplIBfTDuk

www.wptraining.com

www.asq.org

www.ncsli.org

www.msc-conf.com

E

Edgarf

Thanks for all this informations, @sir Hershal how do I get visibility from metrology professionals? :confused:

I am actually learning from OEM's of the equipment I am receiving daily.
I'm also having fun learning as well,but it would always be nice having a mentor.:rolleyes:

:thanx:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Hi Edgarf,

This is the main forum for metrology professionals, and so posting here is how to get the visibility of the metrology professionals. That is why I move it to here.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom