Solderability test and component's life expectency

alonFAI

Involved In Discussions
Hi Guys

I need to write down a procedure regarding prolonging the life expectancy of electrical components (passive, active) after being in storage for a period of time. after the component expiry date reached, we perform solderability test on the component and if it passes the test we change the expiry date to a future date.
does anyone know how much time i can add? is there any standard regarding this issue, of how much time i can add to life expectancy of a component in storage after solderability test?

thanks!:bigwave:
Alon

Last edited by a moderator:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: Solderability test and component's life expenctency

Is your solderability test quantitative or pass/fail?

alonFAI

Involved In Discussions
Hi Guys, thanks for your reply :)

I think the solderability test is pass/fail

I read the TI documents but i can't find a number or a thumb rule to the question:"if i find in my storage room electrical/smd components that expired, and I perform solderability test and find the component to be OK, from that point ,how much time I can add to the component's shelf life? 6 months? 1 year? etc.."

maybe there is a standard that specify exactly that?

again, thanks! :rolleyes:

Alon :applause:

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Guys

I need to write down a procedure regarding prolonging the life expectancy of electrical components (passive, active) after being in storage for a period of time. after the component expiry date reached, we perform solderability test on the component and if it passes the test we change the expiry date to a future date.
does anyone know how much time i can add? is there any standard regarding this issue, of how much time i can add to life expectancy of a component in storage after solderability test?

thanks!:bigwave:
Alon

There's more to it than this. Many packages need to be baked to remove any moisture that may have permeated into the body; this is why many components are sold in hermetically sealed bags. Passing a solderability test is only a small part of the decision to extend expiry dates.

Top Bottom