Product Recall Plan for an Electrical Gadget - Student Project

R

Ropofadzo

Hi everyone,

As part of my assignment for a quality management module I am taking, I have been asked to produce a Product Recall Plan for an electrical gadget. I have done research and understand the basic structure but I have not seen an actual product recall plan. Does anyone know where I can find a sample. Seeing an actual product recall plan will give me an insight into how it should look like.

Also, what is the difference between a safety/hazard notice and a recall notice?

:thanx:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I have been asked to produce a Product Recall Plan for an electrical gadget. I have done research and understand the basic structure but I have not seen an actual product recall plan. Does anyone know where I can find a sample. Seeing an actual product recall plan will give me an insight into how it should look like.

Also, what is the difference between a safety/hazard notice and a recall notice?

See Consumer Product Safety Commission website or the FDA website for actual recall notices.

See MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency for the UK) website for Safety Notices (replaced by Medical Device Alerts) and Hazard Notices.

Regarding an actual recall plan, this is understandably a very sensitive area to companies. I will be very surprised if you get any examples.

P

Pogi_

Hi everyone,

find a sample. Seeing an actual product recall plan will give me an insight into how it should look like.

I cannot give you an example and I cannot stretch much (T!##%A - a major car manufacturing company regarding the issue with steering, braking and gas pedal issue "wink wink" recall) about what I can use as an example but I can give you the typical pathway if you can find this viable then i can help you defend.

safety/hazard notice - in my opinion is more of an announcement of potential failure of the product or product characteristics that has a potential to harm anyone who's using it. Could be a toy, chemical delivery systems or as big as gas pipeline signage. Most of the time driven by regulatory rules by EHS or product safety commision or any safety certifying body (e,g, UL)

Recall notice is the method of telling your customer/s that the product CAN harm anyone and may not be used anymore due to its failure that shall cause disatisfaction, injury or death.

Recalling a product is tricky depending on the scope - if you can actually rework the part and return the product with faulty components replaced or recall the product and destroy it then replace it with a new one (that is not affected by the cause of recall). How big is the affected customer and how many customers. How many products and what part of the process did the problem occur. Most of the time...money talks. Your boss will ask you, what is the dollar value of the recall and how much damage it will cause. What is the risk and how are we containing it and did we ever make any mitigation based on the product launch milestones.

I normally do it this way:

1. Containment plan and execution schedule (24 hours)
2. Risk analysis (within 24 hours of item 1)
- quality risk
- reliability risk
- financial and business risk
- environmental risk
3. Identify and Quantify to define the scope of your recall (who - customer and contact, what - definition of your problem, when - time frame of affected products, where - sites ans processes suspected to cause the issue and how many - self explanatory : you may use is-isnot if its appropriate)
4. Send notification of potential recall - internal (include external if RPN = > 100 or the issue has an immediate assignable cause with detrimental effect)
5. Identify your problem, root cause and provide corrective action (more of an 8D approach)
6. Validate item 5 by post CA data gathering and effectiveness validation (this way...your problem already have a fix to hasten your response to the recall inquiry)
7. (ensure that this is done in a timely manner) Send out the Recall Notice to your "WHO" with "WHAT", "WHEN", "WHERE" and "HOW MANY" information - be direct to the point and be concise and specific. There's no recall notice plan per se at this point. Your customers and notice recipients may or may not react to it depending on the significance of your product to their means. If anyone comes back then you can offer either replacement, repair, rework, refund and/or credit.
8a. Work on your preventive action internally and immediately and report to the customers if required
8b. Work on the responses / inquiries you recieved from the recall notice recipients
9. Close the issue and find opportunities for improvement and error proof your process.

Had T#*#&$A use this approach, they may have prevented the mayhem they are in right now. Fit the brand name into the steps i provided and you have your example.

Hope this helps

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I might add to as a part of the scope of the recall, the investigation into the reliability of the lot control and lot identification. Do you trust that the specified lots are really the only lots that are affected? If not, are you willing to recall lots before and after the suspect lots? Or, is the lot traceability so suspect that all product needs recalled?

Something to ponder - especially in industries that are not prone to take their lot traceability too serious. Medical, aerospace and automotive sure should sensitive to traceability - but there are others that are not.

P

Pogi_

In my terminology its called good lot in bad neighborhood or vice versa

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Hi everyone,

As part of my assignment for a quality management module I am taking, I have been asked to produce a Product Recall Plan for an electrical gadget. I have done research and understand the basic structure but I have not seen an actual product recall plan. Does anyone know where I can find a sample. Seeing an actual product recall plan will give me an insight into how it should look like.

If there is 'product certification' for your 'gadget', there should be provisions for this in the relevant documents including the relevant authority or department to contact when such an exercise arises. Check first.

There are some samples in the web including this which I had downloaded for reference.

Attachments

• Product Recall Process-1.pdf
    332.3 KB · Views: 679
R

Ropofadzo

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate all the information, very helpful.:thanx:

Top Bottom