AIAG Releases the 2nd Edition of their SPC (Statistical Process Control) Manual

Q

qacop

AIAG Releases the 2nd Edition of their SPC Manual

I received an email yesterday from the AIAG announcing that the 2nd edition of the SPC manual has been released. I have not yet received a copy to review the content changes, has any one else?

A

Andrews

qacop said:
I received an email yesterday from the AIAG announcing that the 2nd edition of the SPC manual has been released. I have not yet received a copy to review the content changes, has any one else?

Do you have updation arrangement with AIAG? How did you enroll?

Q

qacop

I receive emails frequently from the following address [email protected], announcing events etc. Try sending a request through this address, I called them some time ago, requesting to receive announcements /updates.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
qacop said:
It's available here: AIAG SPC Manual. It's interesting that the 2nd edition of the manual is being referred to as "SPC-3" and the description on the AIAG site includes a cryptic disclaimer, which is never a good sign.
SPC-3 This manual is an introduction to statistical process control and is intended to cover normally occurring SPC system situations. It is not intended to limit evolution of SPC methods suited to particular processes or commodities. Version 2 June 2005

A

Andrews

JSW05 said:
It's available here: AIAG SPC Manual. It's interesting that the 2nd edition of the manual is being referred to as "SPC-3" and the description on the AIAG site includes a cryptic disclaimer, which is never a good sign.

Thanks. But has anyone had a look at the changes.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
We just received our copies today, and I have paged through it.

The charting 'font' seems to be a little clearer and easier to read, but I'm not completely satisfied with all the changes.

One of the things that struck me right off the bat was that the selection flowchart from the first page of the First Edition (which SPC method to use) was missing (or at least, I can't find it). This was a GREAT cheatsheet for my CQT and CQE exams, and I still use it today.

There are still numerous errors; first one discoverd (in the first 15 minutes) when they are explaining Cpk/Ppk, they show a chart labelled 'Immature and Out of Control Process', and then calculate the Cpk/Ppk for that process. One of the first things I learned in Stats (probably the ONLY thing I learned, to tell the truth) is that you can only calculate Cp/Cpk on processes that are stable and in control. Otherwise, you're just fooling yourself.

I am sure there are many other 'minor' errors of this nature, but I haven't seen anything glaring yet.

L

lday38

2nd edition requirements

I just received my 2nd edition spc. I am a bit concerned that there may be changes that will affect my soon upcoming regsiteration audit. Has anyone heard besides having the edition what a regsiteration auditor might be looking for?

R

Rob Nix

Iday38, you shouldn't be too worried that the revision will affect your audit. First of all, it is a reference manual - not a standard. Second, the changes (although I have not yet read them) do not likely change any of the principles of SPC.

James, the first edition had a similar "disclaimer". It's no big deal.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Rob Nix said:
James, the first edition had a similar "disclaimer". It's no big deal.
After seeing the third edition of the MSA manual (which represented a tremendous overcomplication of an already poorly executed work) I think that some trepidation is justified. What I would like to see is an AIAG manual that restates the laws of physics in a manner befitting the American automotive industry's general expectations biggrin-a1.gif .

Top Bottom