How to document use of wrong engineering drawing

L

lostmanager

We have a job that engineering put the wrong print out on the floor and resulted in the part being non conforming. The part was made to print but now has to scrapped due to an error on the drawing. How do I document issues such as these? Is this an NCR or ECR? I wouldn't think NCR because of a drawing error. I know we need a correct print and now new material to replace the scrapped part. I will issue a CAR but what else?

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Re: How to document use of wrong engineering drawing ?

We have a job that engineering put the wrong print out on the floor and resulted in the part being non conforming. The part was made to print but now has to scrapped due to an error on the drawing. How do I document issues such as these? Is this an NCR or ECR? I wouldn't think NCR because of a drawing error. I know we need a correct print and now new material to replace the scrapped part. I will issue a CAR but what else?

Firstly, sorry to hear the loss of parts ... that would be a huge scrap.

I would still advise use of NCR first. I am unsure of your quality management system but the NCR could lead to an Root Cause Investigation involving CAPA and the Engineering Change Request could be a CA to eliminate the cause of the existing defect while the PA would be to ensure that appropriate review and approval is ensured in future to prevent these issues happen again. You should also be revisiting all currently approved prints to check if there are no errors.

Note: I have moved the thread to an appropriate forum to get more directed responses.

AndyN

Moved On

How was it found to be non-conforming? If it was checked to print, it would be good, wouldn't it?

L

lostmanager

It was found non conforming because when the part was presented to quality for in process inspection, it was found that the part was machined per print but the drawing should have called out a 4" ID bore not to be machined all the way through. The machinist should have caught it but he did what the print stated. The bore is never machined all the way through and now cannot be used.

AndyN

Moved On

It was found non conforming because when the part was presented to quality for in process inspection, it was found that the part was machined per print but the drawing should have called out a 4" ID bore not to be machined all the way through. The machinist should have caught it but he did what the print stated. The bore is never machined all the way through and now cannot be used.

I'm confused! How did someone determine the part was wrong to the drawing? How did a machinist make it to print but not "catch" it was made wrong? :confused:

AndyN

Moved On
Simply follow the process: inspection > non-conforming product > disposition > data analysis > corrective action > ECR

AndyN

Moved On

Firstly, sorry to hear the loss of parts ... that would be a huge scrap.

I would still advise use of NCR first. I am unsure of your quality management system but the NCR could lead to an Root Cause Investigation involving CAPA and the Engineering Change Request could be a CA to eliminate the cause of the existing defect while the PA would be to ensure that appropriate review and approval is ensured in future to prevent these issues happen again. You should also be revisiting all currently approved prints to check if there are no errors.

Note: I have moved the thread to an appropriate forum to get more directed responses.

No PA - it's a non-conformity, so only corrective action on the design process to stop the feature being missed again...

L

lostmanager

Sometimes you have to be smarter than the print and say to yourself, do this look right? In this case the machinist wasn't. There has been too many times, when engineering makes a mistake and result in rework. Engineering is disagreeing with me an out an NCR is not needed since the drawing was wrong and only needs an ECr and CAR. In this case when the part is scrapped, how do I document that and get new material to be machined?

S

Seizetem

Sometimes you have to be smarter than the print and say to yourself, do this look right? In this case the machinist wasn't. There has been too many times, when engineering makes a mistake and result in rework. Engineering is disagreeing with me an out an NCR is not needed since the drawing was wrong and only needs an ECr and CAR. In this case when the part is scrapped, how do I document that and get new material to be machined?

instead of a process that is man-dependent, develop a standardize system..

ensure to review for applicability of every customer requirement, have it registered & controlled..train to all personnel

the best practice..make a fool-proof system.....

for now, you have to back-track if there are any other affected parts for containment and move forward on how to avoid it to re-occurrence.

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Excuse my slow-witted take on this but I read the original post as saying that the engineering department gave the wrong or incorrect drawing to the operator. This operator made to the drawing which is what he/she is paid to do. Initiative is good but setting up processes so it is not needed is better (error proofing). Is that correct?

Sorry but operators can have initiative, which is to be commended when it happens, but you need to make it so you don't rely on it. The operator makes parts to specification (this case drawing). The issue here is engineering gave out the incorrect or wrong drawing not the operator's fault surely???

Either way you have NC parts, all our customers would write a NCR up straight away and we'd go through the full RCA and reporting process (8D in our case). This then gets everything logged and recorded. Preventative actions made and applied to all other parts that could be affected. If I have read this right, in this case it is something to do with the engineering checking that their drawings are right before issuing them. Some check in place perhaps. I supposed part of containment is to withdraw the drawing, issue the correct one and get the parts made correctly so the customer is only affected as little as possible by this NC.

For my sins I'm heavily involved in the 8D process here and in our case there is a lot of causes that involve documentation, WI, specs, etc. Basically spelling out everything that can go wrong. Operator error rarely washes with our customers, they like a nice, clean systems or process error to be corrected.

Of course I could have read it all wrong but the above is my rather long :2cents:

Top Bottom