Definition Definition of 'Disposition' when used in the context of ISO 9001

M

madannc

Hi All

There is nothing in 9000:2000, I wondered if anyone here as a 1 or 2 sentence to describe the meaning of disposition, dictionaries I have looked at refer to peoples character and demeanour...

looking for something like "The allocated <insert word(s)> of non conforming product

Have thought of status or category but not sure if they are quite right

please insert or submit own

thx Nigel

Last edited by a moderator:

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Disposition - Definition

From Answers.Com

1. One's usual mood; temperament: a sweet disposition.
a. A habitual inclination; a tendency: a disposition to disagree.
b. A physical property or tendency: a swelling with a disposition to rupture.
3. Arrangement, positioning, or distribution: a cheerful disposition of colors and textures; a convoy oriented into a north-south disposition.
4. A final settlement: disposition of the deceased's property.
5. An act of disposing; a bestowal or transfer to another.
a. The power or liberty to control, direct, or dispose.
b. Management; control.

Looks like item (6) is the most appropriate

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Essentially #6 in Harry's post is how I would define it.

But I've gotten in to arguments in the past with internal auditors who thought that "disposition" meant "throw away", as in "to dispose of" and wanted to know how we disposed of our old quality records to the point of "do you shred them, throw them in the recycle bin, or throw them out and why is that not documented as such."

In plain English what disposition means to me in terms of quality records is simply "what you do with it".
That could be throw it out, file it, make a paper airplane out of it, burn it, archive it on removable media, purge it from the computer system, whatever.

M

madannc

Thx for the reply guys

I have taken the meaning of disposition to be as you said Scott what you intend to do with the product... use as is, scrap, rework, etc etc

So for disposition in a process document definition would you say, "the allocation of status to the non conforming product"

Using status as a word to sum up "what we're gonna do with it"? or is there a better word?

thx Nigel

M

madannc

To determine the usefulness or non-usefulness of product and the results thereof.

Thx Coury, so maybe...

"The assignment of a category to the non-conforming product that determines its value to the business or customer"

whatd'ya think

cheers Nigel

Last edited by a moderator:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Thx Coury, so maybe...

"The assignment of a category to the non-conforming product that determines its value to the business or customer"

whatd'ya think

cheers Nigel

The category of the product would be the determination on the need, or value of the material in question. Categorically, it is Scrapped, reworked, or used, depending on value and delivery.

AndyN

Moved On
Nige:

What's wrong with using the word 'disposition'? We have so many great words in our language, why use many when one will do?

If you're worried about people not understanding what you mean, then I'd be concerned about who's responsible for 'disposition'-ing the non-conforming product. Really, it's not that difficult. If you have something not to spec, someone has to review it and decision what to do with it. It's the result of that decision you're after defining.

Why not......use plain English? "....decides what to do with it; scrap, rework, regrading etc." (whatever is applicable, generally to your products)

I explain to people it's deciding "to move product from 'dis position' to 'dis position'.........!":lmao:

M

madannc

you're right Andy

I am trying to hard, will use definition in simple words, love the explanation you use... will steal that

cheers Nigel

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
One of my favorite concepts is "self-reference criterion." It is "an unconscious reference to one’s own cultural values, experiences, and knowledge as a basis for decisions". Remember, this is an international document, and the limitations an individual finds with the definition of a word may not exist globally.

Even though the world is getting smaller, it is still really, really big.:cool:

Top Bottom