ISO 9001 Clause 8.3: Scrap, Rework, Repair, Why?

Q

QAMTY

Hi everyone
Sorry for my newbie question

I´m developing the 8.3 procedure Non conformance
And have several doubts, I kindly ask your feedback

On the net are managed the terms scrap, rework, repair, but at reading the iso is like this:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
8.3 Control of nonconforming product​
The organization shall ensure that product which does not conform to product requirements is identified and
controlled to prevent its unintended use or delivery. A documented procedure shall be established to define the
controls and related responsibilities and authorities for dealing with nonconforming product.
Where applicable, the organization shall deal with nonconforming product by one or more of the following ways:
a) by taking action to eliminate the detected nonconformity;
b) by authorizing its use, release or acceptance under concession by a relevant authority and, where
applicable, by the customer;
c) by taking action to preclude its original intended use or application;
d) by taking action appropriate to the effects, or potential effects, of the nonconformity when nonconforming
product is detected after delivery or use has started.
When nonconforming product is corrected it shall be subject to re-verification to demonstrate conformity to the​
requirements.
xxxxxxxxxx
I can´t see the terms into the clause
were those terms "invented" by people and been widely accepted?

My point is, in the development of the procedure, what is the focus of the audit?
-Will they look that in a solution were applied a scrap, a rework a repair action?

I think that complying with the clause is enough, because applying
every "popular" term to the NC´s , may be confusing and time consuming.

I ´ve seen that there is a lot of confusion in what to apply and if to that you
add the task to apply the CA, may take more time in a solution

What are your thoughs?

Thanks

J

JRKH

Re: 8.3 clause: scrap, rework, repair, why?

I'm not sure I understand your problem here...Is it that you do not see "Scrap", "Rework" and "Repair" in the Clause itself?
I ask because you say, "I can´t see the terms into the clause
"

These terms predate the standard by decades if not centuries. As to them not appearing in the standard,
Well
Rework or Repair = a) by taking action to eliminate the detected nonconformity;
Scrap = c) by taking action to preclude its original intended use or application;

As you write your procedure, you may use whatever terms you choose. Obviously the most commonly used are generally be best understood. However if you have terms that you feel are more expressive, clearer and less confusing in your particular application, then go ahead and use them.
The important thing is to to make sure that the points in the standard are covered.

Peace
James

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: 8.3 clause: scrap, rework, repair, why?

Hi everyone
Sorry for my newbie question

I´m developing the 8.3 procedure Non conformance
And have several doubts, I kindly ask your feedback

On the net are managed the terms scrap, rework, repair, but at reading the iso is like this <snip>
I can´t see the terms into the clause

My point is, in the development of the procedure, what is the focus of the audit?
-Will they look that in a solution were applied a scrap, a rework a repair action?

add the task to apply the CA, may take more time in a solution

What are your thoughs?

Thanks

First, don't confuse written documents with processes. You should develop a process for dealing with nonconforming product and then document it (although the two might happen concurrently, to some extent).

It doesn't matter what you call things. In some industries there are rigid distinctions made between "rework" and "repair," but in the generic sense of ISO 9001 all that matters is the process, and doing the things the standard requires. You should feel free to develop (and use consistently) any terms, descriptions or differentiations you might think helpful.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
I can't confirm that these terms pre-date the standard by centuries but I can confirm that they were used in ISO 9001:1994 and I am pretty certain they were in the 1987 version too.

Back then, Control of Nonconforming Product was clause 4.13 and 4.13.2 stated that:

Nonconforming product shall be reviewed in accordance with documented procedures. It may be:

a) reworked to meet the specified requirements;
b) accepted with or without repair by concession;
c) regraded for alternative applications; or
d) rejected or scrapped.

I suspect the terms are linked to this old requirement.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks to JRKH , Jim Wynne, and Colin

Now I see the origins.

Thanks a lot for your time

harry

Trusted Information Resource
................................. My point is, in the development of the procedure, what is the focus of the audit?

add the task to apply the CA, may take more time in a solution .........

I think you've fall into the trap of trying to fit your work around the guidelines and requirements of the standard and worse - the auditors requirements. It shouldn't be done in this manner.

What you have to do is is document your activities (how work is done in your organization) and then identify how and where it meets these requirements. Life would had been much easier if you had carried out a gap analysis first.

Top Bottom