How can I provide evidence of On-the-job training (OJT)? TS 16949 Para. 6.2.2.3

I

Isabel Arroyo

Hello everyone!

It's my second time at the forum and I really got surprised when I saw your quick answers, thanks folks!

I come again with a question: 6.2.2.3 requires that the organization provides on-the-job training for new or modified jobs affecting quality. The problem about that is to provide evidence. How did you solve this question?

Thanks in advance

Isabel Arroyo

R

Rachel

Isabel Arroyo said:
I come again with a question: 6.2.2.3 requires that the organization provides on-the-job training for new or modified jobs affecting quality. The problem about that is to provide evidence. How did you solve this question?

Hi Isabel :bigwave: ,

Our company isn't registered to TS, and we have no plans to be. I can take a stab at this, though...I'd say that training records can prove that. You'd just have to issue an internal training record, have all of the appropriate people sign off, and then file copies of it in each employee's file (or file them any way you want, really - as long as it's easily accessible if the auditor wants to see it). That's what we do, and we've never had issues - but we're QS 9000 going for ISO 9001:2000, not for TS 16949 (hence the stab).

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
-R.

The Taz!

Quite Involved in Discussions
IMHO, it can be done simply. . .

A format that would include multiple people assessing the employee at various times would be your permanent record.

1) have someone competent in the job to be done instruct the new employee and document it.

2) Let the person perform the job while a mentor observes. Document the mentors "opinions" as to how the employee is performing and document it.

3) Have a supervisor perform 30, 60 and 90 day evaluations of the employee's progress and document it.

4) Monitor the internal rejects for any that are attributable to the new employee, and address it immediately before any bad habits can be formed. DOCUMENT it.

The key here is to have multiple people assess the employee over time. The employee may have the capacity to learn and perform the job, but may not be capable of performing it over and over again over time.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING at all steps.

As far as temporary employees go, a simpler regimen and more supervision may be in line.

R

ralphsulser

Isabel Arroyo said:
Hello everyone!

It's my second time at the forum and I really got surprised when I saw your quick answers, thanks folks!

Thanks in advance

Isabel Arroyo
Isabel,
We use a Skill Matrix which documents the on the job training competence levels. I will atach and example for you, maybe as a template to customize fop your operations. Hope this helps

Attachments

• Skill Matrix.xls
    155 KB · Views: 2,530
C

cncmarine

Wow.....some of these companies have way too many resources.
Just modify your first article inspection form, to reflect inspection and training.

R

ralphsulser

I guess you would have to understand the business, processes and customer requirements to appreciate resources and trainig required.

The Taz!

Quite Involved in Discussions
ralphsulser said:
I guess you would have to understand the business, processes and customer requirements to appreciate resources and trainig required.

And don't forget Grandfathering. . . this company is now paying the price for not having adequate training from the start. A little overkill maybe, but things will settle down in time.

Internal audits revealed just how bad a job was done at training. Training issues werethe biggest bar on the pareto by a 3:1 factor. ISO-14000 awareness training was a disaster. Time to pay a little attention to the shop folk who pay all of us.

And No. . . resources are scarse and have to be allocated where they will pay off.

G

Greg B

Isabel,
Welcome to the cove.

We use a Skill matrix similar to Ralph's and we also use a checklist in our Work Instructions (see attached). This checklist is designed by the Teams and reviewed by them each time a WI is reviewed.
There is a seperate checklist for each work instruction. When an operator is deemed to have sufficient on-the-job training (competency) the checklist will be completed and signed off.

http://elsmar.com/Forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1984

Greg B

A

Al Dyer

Welcome Isabel,

A straightforward training sign-off sheet would do initially. In the long run training will need to be verified by some type of "testing". Internal audit reports would help document and prove that training is effective.

Al...

I

Isabel Arroyo

Thank you all for your help. I found the checklist very helpful, I will propose a version of it in our organization.

Isabel

Top Bottom