Employee who has taken Sick Leave for Depression

V

vikinguk

Anyone got any tips on how I should handle an employee who has taken sick leave for depression ? I obviously have to speak to him if only to find out if he is going to be off sick again.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: Depression

Anyone got any tips on how I should handle an employee who has taken sick leave for depression ? I obviously have to speak to him if only to find out if he is going to be off sick again.
It is a sickness and can be treated. Perhaps he is undergoing same. The cause can be workplace or outside. As an employer its perhaps just ok if you respect his treatment and time needed. Do you know if the investigation points to occupational related depression ... ?

T

tamale

Depression is a valid medical condition caused by hormonal imbalance.

Treat your employee no differently than if he had diabetees or any other medical condition. Check out the information at www.webmd.com

The better informed you are, the easier it is to show respect for your employee.

It works, been there done that!

Tamale

S

somerqc

I have worked in places where people went on sick leave for depression.

They have all come back to be productive employees. Sometimes, they had to fill a different role as the previous role was too stressful, but they were very productive in the new role.

B

brandomenon

This is a tough issue to deal with - I hope your employee is willing to get the treatment they need.

As a manager, it is a tough situation because the time needed to understand depression as the patient can be very long. If the employee is resistant to treatment, then that is about the only situation where you can start to build the case for moving the employee to another position. If they don't want to get treatment or they deny that there is a problem, then they will have repeat episodes of absenteism.

Many larger companies have services offered through HR to help with managing these issues (sometimes called crisis councelling). This is something to suggest for the employee to use; it is also a resource for you as the manager. They are trained to help you understand the process and provide guidance and answers to questions.

Unfortunately in my experiences, the employees I have worked with who were dealing with depression did not want any help, and eventually reached a point where company had to decide to let them go. You always hope it won't come to an extreme end like that, and I hope you have a positive result with your employee.

D

db

Depression is a serious issue. I have limited first-hand knowledge. I was never diagnosed, but I do think I suffered from a mild form of it a few years back as my wife slowly lost her battle with cancer. I do know I had anxiety and panic attacks, and perhaps even some depression. I had difficulty sleeping, concentrating and even lack of appetite. But I also knew what the root cause was. I do know that it did affect my job, but my employer was VERY understanding. Even two years later, I think I still have relapses now and again.

Even if the person does not feel suicidal (I never did), it could affect their appetite, concentration, and overall health (including slower reaction times). All of this combined could result in that person being a hazard to themselves and others in the work environment. Although, we don’t want to be seen as uncaring, sometimes temporarily removing them from that particular work cell could be for their own benefit (IMO). But getting them the medical help they need is paramount.

V

vikinguk

Apparantly the guy is going through a very bad divorce so personally I do not consider he is sick..just having some personal problems. However he has a note from his doctor saying he is suffering from depression so not much I can do. Our full salary sick pay scheme is the problem ..it is being abused... I wonder how much more depressed he would be if he was not getting paid.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Apparantly the guy is going through a very bad divorce so personally I do not consider he is sick..just having some personal problems. However he has a note from his doctor saying he is suffering from depression so not much I can do. Our full salary sick pay scheme is the problem ..it is being abused... I wonder how much more depressed he would be if he was not getting paid.

Has it occurred to you that the divorce might be another symptom of the depression? If the guy is suffering from clinical depression, how is it any different from someone taking leave because of heart surgery or pregnancy? Granted, the diagnosis of clinical depression isn't as clear-cut as it is for coronary disease, but there is a somatic basis for it, and it's treatable. The fact that your company pays for this kind of leave is very generous, especially these days, and there's nothing but trouble for you if you try to make a big deal out of this. Leave it alone and hope that the guy gets better.

M

Mengblom - 2010

I agree with many of those who've responded to your post. Your HR department (if you have a good one) should have information on the leave limits and so forth. Above that, giving your employee support, communicating, and showing your concern will help.

Randy

Super Moderator

So the solution would be for him to be required to work and maybe come in blasting? A good majority of violence in the workplace can be attributed to depression of the worker and personal stress as can prolonged health problems. I'm not sure if you're in the USA or what but if you are this is very dangerous ground and the wrong decisions can either get you in court over ADA issues or in the morgue with other employees. Quite honestly it doesn't matter what you think, what matters is what the medical professionals think and recommend. So just keep putting him under more stress by hammering him over this and enjoy the consequences. I have been down this trail a hundred times or more and nearly walked it myself once or twice so I'm not drawing from having read an article or watched a TV expose'...I've been there and done it.

Your approach should be one of understanding and willingness to bend and assist.

Top Bottom