A log problem

• Thread starter Umang Vidyarthi
  • Start date
U

Umang Vidyarthi

Tom, Dick & Harry went on a summer camp and shared a cottage. They kindled a fire at night where in Tom contributed three logs while Dick put in five logs. Harry having no logs contributed eight cents. Tom wanted 4 cents from the kitty but Dick said his share should be more. How should the money be distributed between the two?

Umang :D

N

nonaynever - 2008

The 3 log guy's share = 2c
The 5 log guy's share = 3 1/3c
The cash guy's share = 2 2/3c

If it's a "kitty" the casy guy is entitled to a share, and as it seems only the 3-log guy wants paid out, no problem.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

The 3 log guy's share = 2c
The 5 log guy's share = 3 1/3c
The cash guy's share = 2 2/3c

If it's a "kitty" the casy guy is entitled to a share, and as it seems only the 3-log guy wants paid out, no problem.

Sorry, your answer is incorrect. Try again.

Any Takers?!?

E

edpaq

OK, I'll bite. Simple enough if you parse out the facts and don't read into it.

Tom = 3 logs
Dick =5 logs
Harry = $.08
Only two are to be paid out. (Assumption: Tom and Dick are the two)

Therefore it would be reasonable to assume $.01 value per log regardless of what Tom wants. Tom needs to get over it.:whip:

Tom gets $.03
Harry gets $.05
They all enjoy a nice warm fire.:cool:

T

tyker

Tom = 3 logs
Dick =5 logs
Harry = $.08

Therefore it would be reasonable to assume $.01 value per log regardless of what Tom wants. Tom needs to get over it.:whip:

Tom gets $.03
Harry gets $.05

But, if the logs are worth 1 cent each, Tom and Dick are now getting a free fire and only Harry has contributed. As Tom and Dick probably scrounged the logs anyway without spending any cash, I'd recommend Harry to keep his money.

J

justncredible

The fire gets the $.08, he put it in the fire. Instead of logs he tossed in monies.

E

edpaq

But, if the logs are worth 1 cent each, Tom and Dick are now getting a free fire and only Harry has contributed. As Tom and Dick probably scrounged the logs anyway without spending any cash, I'd recommend Harry to keep his money.

Factor in that Tom and Dick did the work collecting the logs and therefore would not be getting the fire free. The $.08 would be thier compensation for work. Their micro economy so to speak is only worth $.08 and 8 logs. Given that all logs are equal, it still would be $.01 per log simply because that is all this economy could support.:notme:

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Tom = 3 logs
Dick =5 logs
Harry = $.08

Tom gets $.03
Harry gets $.05

The fire gets the $.08, he put it in the fire. Instead of logs he tossed in monies.

Factor in that Tom and Dick did the work collecting the logs and therefore would not be getting the fire free. The $.08 would be thier compensation for work. Their micro economy so to speak is only worth $.08 and 8 logs. Given that all logs are equal, it still would be $.01 per log simply because that is all this economy could support.:notme:

Sorry to disappoint you folks, the answer is incorrect.

Try again, good luck.

N

nonaynever - 2008

Personally I think Harry should throw another handful of pennies across the room & escape while the "money grabbers" are distracted, lol.

The assumption is that "all the logs are burnt"?
Clarification "Harry put in five", if he put 5 logs into the fire, perhaps three of them were those contributed by Tom?

N

Neil V.

I'm confused by "tom wanted 4 cents from the kitty but dick said HIS share should be more". Is he implying Tom's share should be more? That doesn't seem right so......

assuming 1 log = 1 cent
Tom = 3
Dick = 5
Harry = 8

Total contribution: 8+5+3 = 16

Tom's share = 3/16 = 18.75 % of 8 cents = 1.5 cents
Dick's share = 5/16 = 31.25 % of 8 cents = 2.5 cents
Harry's share = 8/16 = 50 % of 8 cents = 4 cents

It seems fair to me, anyway!:2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents:

Top Bottom