PPAP Marking - Polymeric Parts - AIAG PPAP Manual 4th edition, page 4, Clause 2.2.1.2

J

Jan C

In the PPAP 4th edition, page 4, 2.2.1.2 Marking of Polymeric Parts we are having some discussion on the "Plastic part weighing at least 100g". I take this to mean the weight of the plastic only not the weight of the component. Anyone have a different understanding? :biglaugh:

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Re: PPAP Marking of Polymeric Parts

In the PPAP 4th edition, page 4, 2.2.1.2 Marking of Polymeric Parts we are having some discussion on the "Plastic part weighing at least 100g". I take this to mean the weight of the plastic only not the weight of the component. Anyone have a different understanding? :biglaugh:

I would agree with you, this as I understand is to do with the ability to actually mark the part.
It is possible to have a metal part of 100+ grams with a ring of 1g molded around it.

K

knight_sirk

Same understanding here. :agree1:

Component
A component may be thought of as an assembly or a piece part. One component can consist of several different components. In some cases, a component can represent a complete vehicle and consist of thousands of other components.

Material
The material is the basic component of each component. (plastics, metals, etc.)

- Plastic parts weighing at least 100g. (using ISO 11469/1043-1)
Plastic parts/material under the material classification of
filled Thermoplastics and unfilled Thermoplastics.

- Elastomeric parts weighing at least 200g. (using ISO 11469/1629)
Elastomeric parts/material under the material classifications of
Elastomers / elastomeric compounds

...this as I understand is to do with the ability to actually mark the part...
Marking may be "Not Applicable" when parts marking is not possible for aesthetic reasons.

For additional information see:
although IMDS based

[06.07.2005]
What do the options for polymeric parts marking mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource

I would agree with all of you on that. The 100g is the sum of the plastic part, and is to do with not only the ability to mark the part, but also the requirements in terms of end of life recycling. Anything less than 100g will not (or probably won't) be salvaged by a recycling facility, hence there is no requirements for marking it.

Same understanding here. :agree1:

Component
A component may be thought of as an assembly or a piece part. One component can consist of several different components. In some cases, a component can represent a complete vehicle and consist of thousands of other components.

Material
The material is the basic component of each component. (plastics, metals, etc.)

I would be interested to see where you have dealved these definitions from, they just seem a bit loose to me. So in essence, what you are saying is everything is a component, regardless of whether it is in a finished state, ready for use by an end user?

I would not say a car is a component. Except maybe if you are talking in the big sceme of things:

So a car is a component of the increasing burden man kind is putting on our earth, with excessive CO2 emissions.

- Plastic parts weighing at least 100g. (using ISO 11469/1043-1)
Plastic parts/material under the material classification of
filled Thermoplastics and unfilled Thermoplastics.

- Elastomeric parts weighing at least 200g. (using ISO 11469/1629)
Elastomeric parts/material under the material classifications of
Elastomers / elastomeric compounds]

I have failed to find the reference to parts weiging more than 100g in either ISO11469 or 1043-1?

Sorry not being picky just my take! Good reference to the IMDS article though! :)

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin

I have failed to find the reference to parts weiging more than 100g in either ISO11469 or 1043-1?

Sorry not being picky just my take! Good reference to the IMDS article though! :)

The reference I think is to the marking required according to ISO11469 or 1043-1?

J

Jim 4E

Re: PPAP Marking - Polymeric Parts - AIAG PPAP Manual 4th edition, page 4, Clause 2.2

Just for the sake of reference information; the SAE J1344 recommended practices for "Marking of Plastic Parts" can assist in this area. Part of the material identification is for field personnel, to help them use correct adhesives, paint, etc. on plastics that require repair. It provides letter height references too.

Thanks for the information!

Top Bottom