EN/AS9100 vs. EN/AS9120 - Can we be both? EN/AS9100 Requirements Exceed EN/AS9120?

P

peterd

Hi All,

We are a group of stockists of metal who also subcontract heat treatments, grinding, pre-machining and first stage operations as well as supply chain management.

About a year ago we decided to go for EN/AS9100, with a sligt shove from our customers. AS/EN9120 was just coming out for stockist distrinutors so we bought it and compared the requirements.

In the end we decided that as we do value added activities we fell outside the scope of AS9120 and plummed for the AS9100. We dulely got the cert and lived happily ever after.

However today our sister company had an audit from our registrar, plus his boss, two guys from our national body and one from the aerospace forum in the UK.

The question of our discussion came up and the general concensus from these worthy people was that we should be approved to AS9120 as we are a stockist. We questioned the value added bits and there reply was that we should go for both certs.

This seems a bit strange to me. AS9100 exceeds the requirements of AS9120 so why the problem? There are some specific references to requirements in AS9120 but we already meet them. The suggestion was that we identify which bits of which standard each of our processes meet.

Has anyone else encountered this? I know we are a bit of a special case but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Peter

:confused:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Peter, according to my understanding of your scenario, you could NOT qualify for AS/EN 9120. The following comes from 9120 1.2: ". . . This standard is for use by organizations that procure parts, materials and assemblies and sells these products to a customer in the aerospace industry. This includes organizations that procure products and split them into smaller quantities. This standard is not intended for organizations that rework or repair products. Organizations that perform work that affect or could affect product characteristics or conformity shall use AS/EN/JIS Q 9100 or another quality management system standard..

I tend to agree with you that no additional value would be attained in going for an 9120 certification. I think that you should stick to your guns and bring this up to someone at the EAQG (Since you are in Europe, but not the continent ;) ) and/or the IAQG.

Keep us apprised of your discussions.

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Peter, earlier this week I attended the AAQG meeting in Washington DC and I asked the people behind the development of the AS9100 and 9120 documents about the specific scenario you described.

They agreed with my position, ie, 9120 is NOT applicable to your scenario. If you alter form, fit or function of the product, 9100 IS the Standard to be followed.

So, these "worthy people" don't seem very knowledgeable on application of 9120.

A

AndyPJ

Hi, this is my first post in the forum allthough I have been viewing for some time and find the site very interesting and informitive.
I am the QM in a Raw material stockist company in the Aerospace industry and I am seeking some advice regarding AS9100/ISO 9001 standards.
The areas of which I am unsure are Configuration Management and Control of production and service provision for a raw materal stockist. Please can you offer any advice.
I would also like to here from anyone in the same line of business.
Happy new year to you all.

R

Rockanna

Re: EN/AS9100 vs. EN/AS9120 - Can we be both? EN/AS9100 Requirements Exceed EN/AS9120

Is the EN9100 (European) standard a duplicate of the AS9100 (US) standard?

Top Bottom