Definition Material or Materiel? Definition

sonflowerinwales

In the country
Would my fellow Covers be so kind as to help resolve a "discussion point" with my colleagues?
I have re-written and updated our quality manaual to include 14001, 18001 and 21CFR820. I have used the word "materiel" to describe any product or ingredient used in our processes. One of my colleagues, while reviewing and proof reading the manual, has asked for this to be changed to "material".
Please may I have your thoughts on which one to use?
Many thanks
Paul

T

temujin

Re: Define material or materiel?

Hi,

Intuitively, I would agree with your colleagues and use "material".

Materiel would normally mean a large group of products somehow grouped together for a specific purpose. (I´m sure there are definitions out there somewhere)

Like military materiel, the materiel needed to establish a plant at site x, Mars expedition equipped with the following materiel etc.

t.

sonflowerinwales

In the country

Thank you everyone for your prompt replies. I have now done a global replace, and Lucy is happy.
Regards
Paul

BradM

Leader
Admin

Paul, thank you for posting this question. I had no idea there were two forms of the word and that they could be used in such a manner.:agree1:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
LOL, you know us Brad, we had to go and B@$!@#dize the English language beyond all recognition!:notme:

Yep, material is safe anywhere in the US.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Would my fellow Covers be so kind as to help resolve a "discussion point" with my colleagues?
I have re-written and updated our quality manaual to include 14001, 18001 and 21CFR820. I have used the word "materiel" to describe any product or ingredient used in our processes. One of my colleagues, while reviewing and proof reading the manual, has asked for this to be changed to "material".
Please may I have your thoughts on which one to use?
Many thanks
Paul

Hello Paul,

IMO the word 'materiel' used by you must have been a typo error. My deduction is based on the fact, that 'materiel' is not a common word. People using the word'material', may or may not be aware of the word 'materiel'; but it seems unlikely that a person knowingly using the word 'materiel' does not know the difference of the meaning of the two words. All the more so, since the difference between the two is loud and clear.

Have a look:

ma·té·ri·el Audio Help /məˌtɪəriˈɛl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muh-teer-ee-el] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the aggregate of things used or needed in any business, undertaking, or operation (distinguished from personnel).
2. Military. arms, ammunition, and equipment in general.
Also, ma·te·ri·el.

[Origin: 1805–15; < F; see material]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Those in the know, also apply the meaning to Military supply mainly and hence can not apply to a raw material. That is why my deduction that the OP might have mis-spelled the word unintentionally.

ma·te·ri·al Audio Help /məˈtɪəriəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muh-teer-ee-uhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the substance or substances of which a thing is made or composed: Stone is a durable material.
2. anything that serves as crude or raw matter to be used or developed: Wood pulp is the raw material from which paper is made.
3. any constituent element.
4. a textile fabric: material for a dress.
5. a group of ideas, facts, data, etc., that may provide the basis for or be incorporated into some integrated work: to gather material for a history of North Carolina; to write material for a comedy show.
6. materials, the articles or apparatus needed to make or do something: writing materials.
7. a person considered as having qualities suited to a particular sphere of activity: The boy's teachers did not think he was college material.
–adjective
8. formed or consisting of matter; physical; corporeal: the material world.
9. relating to, concerned with, or involving matter: material forces.
10. pertaining to the physical rather than the spiritual or intellectual aspect of things: material comforts.
11. pertaining to or characterized by an undue interest in corporeal things; unspiritual.
12. of substantial import; of much consequence; important: Your support will make a material difference in the success of our program.
13. pertinent or essential (usually fol. by to): a question not material to the subject at hand.
14. Law. likely to influence the determination of a case: material evidence.
15. Philosophy. of or pertaining to matter as distinguished from form.
[Origin: 1300–50; ME < LL māteriālis of, belonging to matter. See matter, -al1]

—Related forms
ma·te·ri·al·ness, noun

There is no confusion with 'material'

Umang :D

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi SteelMaiden,

Both words have always been in the "UK" English language, unfortunately most brits only use material. :nope:

I had many discussions :frust: 20 odd years ago about the use of the word materiel when writing Quality Manuals. But strange enough I had to take the same discussion again recently when I translatted our Financial Report from Danish to English...... I gave up trying :truce: to explain the difference in the end and used material and left them to their "opinions".:sarcasm:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Maybe I should learn a new language? :lmao: English :lmao:

I was recently told that I had learned Southern "real" well. The group of people I was with were all in agreement. They told me that they'd proudly accept me as one of the own. "you don't hardly even have tha funny accent a'tall no more, Miss Steel." I'm proud of my accomplishment of becoming bilinguel in American English and Southern English. I think I am ready for another challenge. As long as I stay in the English language family I think I could do it. It would be tough tho, cuz they say it is harder to pick up new languages the older you get.

Top Bottom