Thread Gage Calibration Software to look up requireds/specs for thread gages

M

metrologyguy

We are looking to update our software we use to look up requireds/specs for thread gage calibration. We perform this service for a wide range of industries and see a lot of special threads. If you have experience with a software package that you would recommend, I would like to hear about it. I am open to any and all ideas.

Thank you.

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I'll have to defer this one. My background is more electrical/electronic calibration. If you could elaborate a little on what you're looking for, perhaps there are some more generic solutions that would also serve.

For example, some of the calibration recall packages have capability to link directly to specifications (which you need to have available on line somewhere).

As I work for a Fortune 100 company, they build many of their own on-line spec packages (which I can not detail here). I have very superficial exposure to thread gage cals. What I recall is testing them on a profilometer or some sort of comparator. So if I perceive correctly, what you are looking for primarily is an easy to use souce for tolerance specs, measurement points, etc.

One possibility could even be a package such as METCAL (put out by Fluke - not a plug for Fluke; this is the one I am familiar with). METCAL is an automated cal package designed to automatically operate instruments involved in the cal process with cal steps on screen for the operator. But in the case of a mechanical gage such as a thread gage, METCAL (or other similar packages) can be used solely as an operator interface (without the automated instruments connected to the computer). You would simply need to write the procedures in a structured (fairly easy to use) language imbedded in the software.

Depending upon exactly what you need the software to do, there are a number of options.

Another option would be to hyperlink documented procedures in something like PDF or MS Word document format with your recall database. You could do something as simple as set up an HTML webpage format with hyperlinks to those procedures in a server in your lab.

Those are a few ideas off the top of my head. If you can elaborate some, I would be glad to offer further inputs.

M

metrologyguy

more info

Hi Jerry:

Thank you for your response. The type of software we are looking to upgrade is designed just for the calibration of thread gages. It comes loaded with all of the specifications for threads for most or all thread gages. the user would simply type in the gage type and size i.e. 5/8-18 UNC-2B, and the software would present all of the requireds from ASME/ANSI B1.2 or other applicable standards.

We have Metcal, it came with our Fluke 5500. Since we have not hired an electrical Technician yet, it just sits there with the calibration expireing. I have played with the Metcal and it looks pretty powerfull. Someday, perhaps we will even use it!

Thank you

Keith

J

Jim Webb

You might want to look at a program by Gagemaker Inc called Thread Disk. We use it in our plant gage lab and it meets our needs.

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Thread Engineering Software Options

The type of software we are looking [for] is designed just for the calibration of thread gages. It comes loaded with all of the specifications for threads for most or all thread gages. The user would simply type in the gage type and size i.e. 5/8-18 UNC-2B, and the software would present all of the [requirements] from ASME/ANSI B1.2 or other applicable standards.
Metrologyguy, I know that this reply comes very late from your original post, but I just came upon your post, so now is my first opportunity. There are three packages of screw thread engineering software available on the market today that do exactly what you require.

1. Thread Disk. This screw thread engineering software, to my knowledge, has been on the market the longest, but I know the least about it. I know several thread gage makers have switched away from Thread Disk in favor of one of the other two. I do not know of any thread gage maker who has switched to Thread Disk. Many thread gage makers do have multiple versions of thread engineering software because none cover all specifications.

2. Thread Tech. It was developed by Osborn Products for their own use. They, at the request of their customers, began selling the software. This software has been in constant development for years. In addition to adding additional capacity, the developer actively attacks flaws in the screw thread engineering software. When someone presents a software flaw, the developer fixes the flaw and provides that individual with an upgraded copy of the screw thread engineering software. It has been years since anyone has found a flaw. This is the screw thread engineering software that I use on a daily basis. It gives the screw thread dimensions for product threads and for thread gauges, with their associated tolerances. It is perfect for a calibration laboratory for that reason, and because it is very user friendly. It does not have pizzazz, and it has some limitations, but the developer seems to be adding new capabilities regularly. Slated for release in mid-2008 is a British Pipe add-on.

3. STEFFS. I believe it stands for: Screw Thread Engineering For Fasteners Software. Catchy name, huh. This screw thread engineering software has the best selection of thread types. I own a copy of this screw thread engineering software and find it difficult to operate; however; I do know many that own STEFFS and prefer using it over others. Last I knew, the developer of the software is looking for a buyer to the rights to the code. (There is a business opportunity for some software engineer, but I digress.) Unfortunately this screw thread engineering software is poorly marketed and a Goggle search specifically looking for it did not find any link to post here.

All posted here was from memory. If anyone wishes to correct anything I have posted, please do so either in the forum or via e-mail. I will gladly try to fact-check and reply/update my comments.

D

dstetler

Gagemaker is NOT the way to go. They have bugs in the software for threas under a 1 mm pitch. STEFFS seems to be a very complete software. I think i recieved a demo once a couple of years ago and included many different types, ie. british, din, standard... Call Swanson gage and see if they can send you a demo CD.

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Are you referring to this? Thread Engineering Software?

Yes, that is the correct one. I had the name a little worng in my post, my bad. Also, thanks for finding a link to someone that sells it. So to correct my post...

3. STETFS. It stands for: Screw Thread Engineering To Federal Standards. Catchy name, huh. This screw thread engineering software has the best selection of thread types. I own a copy of this STETFS and find it difficult to operate; however; I do know many that own STETFS and prefer using it over others. (Last I knew, the developer of the software is looking for a buyer to the rights to the code.)

S

stefanhg

New shareware for threads and screw threads gauges
"QMSYS Threads and Gauges".
Trial version of QMSys Threads and Gauges is available for immediate download.

Top Bottom