IAS to require technician certification for calibration laboratories by 12/2009

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
IAS to require technician certification for calibration laboratories, first in North America

The International Accreditation Service (IAS) will require calibration laboratories to have certified technicians as part of accreditation by December 2009. Professional certification will be accepted as evidence of training and knowledge of the facilities’ metrology professionals. IAS accredits calibration laboratories by verifying technical competence and assessing their quality systems.

The new requirement will affect calibration laboratories already accredited by IAS, as well as applicants seeking accreditation. IAS is the first accreditation body in North America to include certification of calibration technicians as part of its evaluation.

“Certification raises the bar on professionalism in the calibration community because it requires a higher, continuous evidence of professional qualifications,” said IAS President Chuck Ramani.

Certifications accepted by IAS include the Certified Calibration Technician certification from the American Society of Quality (ASQ), the PROCERH certification administered by CENAM of Mexico, the Measurement NVQ/SVQ Partnership Programme administered by NPL of the United Kingdom, National Certificate in Industrial Measurement and Control administered by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority, or an equivalent certification.

IAS accredits calibration laboratories to ISO/IEC standard 17025, an internationally accepted standard for laboratory accreditation. The new requirement for technician certification fulfills the training and education components of the standard for verification of personnel competency.

“The staff of calibration labs will now be able to demonstrate the same level of professionalism that is currently required by those who work for testing laboratories and in code enforcement,” said Ramani.

The International Accreditation Service, a subsidiary of the International Code Council, assesses and accredits competent testing and calibration laboratories, inspection agencies and fabricator inspection programs. In operation since 1975, IAS is one of the oldest accreditation bodies of its type and is a nonprofit, public benefit corporation recognized worldwide. To learn more about IAS and its programs in the fields of testing, inspection and conformity assessment, please visit www.iasonline.org, call 1-866-427-4422, or e-mail [email protected].

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Hi Hershal,

Do these personnel certification programs comply with ISO/IEC 17024:2003 (Conformity assessment - General Requirements for Bodies operating Certification of Persons) or equivalent?

Personnel certification is something that we will see more attention being paid to, in my opinion.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Hi Sidney,

In truth I have not evaluated the standard referenced, and the development of CCT (in particular) was under the control and direction of ASQ.

The other three listed in the press release were developed in and by other economies and so they would have to address that.

I am familiar with the content of the CCT, and the process employed by ASQ, and believed that the time was right for an accrediting body to step up and require the certification of technicians. Please note there is a long implementation window, by intent. That is based on the rationale for the CCT itself.

I agree that more attention will be given to personnel certification. Many industries already require such certification in specific postitions.

I suspect almost everyone who buys calibration service wants to make sure it is the highest possible quality, especially if they use an accredited lab. We believe that this requirement will raise the bar for delivered calibration services, just as similar certifications have for other industries.

Hershal

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Sidney Vianna said:
Hi Hershal,

Do these personnel certification programs comply with ISO/IEC 17024:2003 (Conformity assessment - General Requirements for Bodies operating Certification of Persons) or equivalent?

Personnel certification is something that we will see more attention being paid to, in my opinion.

Sidney,
Very valid Question. :applause: ASQ should pursue this certification.

I offered this exact suggestion in the ASQ discussion board some time back. No reply from the ASQ staff. Actually, ASQ has a very systematic approach to design and development of Exam. Pursuing and obtaining this certification, ISO/IEC 17024:2003 will add more credibility to ASQ certification, especially outside North America.

Regards,
Govind.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
It is worth noting that in the U.S. at this time, ANSI is the only accrediting body that is intending to provide that specific accreditation.

Hershal

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks for this information,Hershal. So ANSI cannot issue certification to ASQ Certification division? Any conflict of interest ? I guess if there is any conflict, ASQ could use bodies like BSI UK? Any thoughts?
Govind.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
ASNI can perform the accreditation of ASQ for personnel certification. That of course would require ASQ to seek accreditation. I won't speculate on how likely that may be.

BSI can't provide the accreditation, as they are a registrar rather than an accrediting body. Their accrediting body, UKAS, could potentially provide the accreditation, but I don't know if UKAS accredits personnel certifiers.

There should not be conflict of interest if ANSI, NVLAP, A2LA, or IAS (the accrediting body I work for) were to offer such accreditation, and if ASQ were to seek it, providing there is no vested business interests. For such an application, I would disqualify myself and another assessor would be assigned, based on participation with CCT and the Metrology Handbook.

Hershal

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Just 'bumping' this thread because someone thought it might have been 'lost'.

Top Bottom