CQT (Certified Quality Technician) exam is over - Thoughts on Exam

H

holly21

I took the exam on 3/5. I was able to answer about 70% of the questions on the first pass through, then went back and started using my reference materials to look up other topics. When the proctor announced that there were 15 minutes left, I still had about 6-8 questions to go. I read them, took my best guess (on some, I had a pretty good idea what the answer was, but didn't answer on the first pass because I wanted to look them up to be sure). Four hours went by very fast. In general, the questions seemed easier than the CQI practice exam disk. The answers on most questions seemed much more obvious and the questions were worded in a way where you didn't have to make an assumption about what the question was asking.

Does 2.0 have one significant digit, or two? A calculation question asked for the answer to ONE significant digit. The actual answer was 1.9, but I selected 2.0. I was pretty sure that 2.0 was two significant digits, but I KNOW that 1.9 definitely has two.

On a last minute whim, I took a co-worker's copy of Juran's Quality Control Handbook, and I'm sure glad I did... it helped me answer about 5 questions that weren't covered in the QCI materials. I read the questions and the topic was completely foreign to me. I would have had to guess blindly without that book.

C

Craig H.

Well, Holly, it sounds like you did well. Congratulations! I hope you passed!! Let us know when you find out, please

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Yes, Holly, we'll keep our fingers crossed. It looks like you did everything you could to succeed.:applause:

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

holly21 said:
Does 2.0 have one significant digit, or two? A calculation question asked for the answer to ONE significant digit. The actual answer was 1.9, but I selected 2.0. I was pretty sure that 2.0 was two significant digits, but I KNOW that 1.9 definitely has two.
I also wish you luck.

Now for my education - I would have said that both 1.9 and 2.0 have ONE significant digit. It's been years, but I thought significant digits dealt with the number of decimal places used.

C

catlionus

Congratulations

Hi Holly,
I was very, very excited reading your message concerning your experience from the exam because I am in the position, as you already know to prepare my own CQE exam :mg: .
For me it is a preparation experience and it is very valuable for those who are preparing their exams.
I hope that you will pass the exam with flying colors.
You've prepared very well your exam and you deserve it :applause: .
Good luck and shearing with us your tremendous experience it is a wonderful initiative and I must thank you for this :thanks: .

Leonardo

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
If significant digits are your biggest worry, then I'm sure you did well.

2.0 should be two significant digits. Zeros are significant at sometimes and not significant at other times, and uncertain at yet other times.

* Leading zeros are never siginificant. 0.0023 has 2 significant digits.
* Zeros in the middle are always significant. 3004 has 4 significant digits.
* Zeros after the decimal are always significant. 2.00 has 3 significant digits
* Zeros written just to make big number are uncertain. 7200 could be 2,3, or 4 significant digits. If is is important, you can always use scientific notation: 7.2 x 10^3 or 7.20 x 10^3 or 7.200 x 10^3 respectively.

Tim F

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Tim Folkerts said:
If significant digits are your biggest worry, then I'm sure you did well.

2.0 should be two significant digits. Zeros are significant at sometimes and not significant at other times, and uncertain at yet other times.

* Leading zeros are never siginificant. 0.0023 has 2 significant digits.
* Zeros in the middle are always significant. 3004 has 4 significant digits.
* Zeros after the decimal are always significant. 2.00 has 3 significant digits
* Zeros written just to make big number are uncertain. 7200 could be 2,3, or 4 significant digits. If is is important, you can always use scientific notation: 7.2 x 10^3 or 7.20 x 10^3 or 7.200 x 10^3 respectively.

Tim F
Thanks Tim. That makes sense (it's been soooooo long since High School which I think is where I was introduced to the phrase :bonk: )

Top Bottom