Where is it mandated to use 300 pieces for a capability study

W

wslabey

Where's it mandated to use a 300 piece run for a capability study? I have been going through the AIAG books and cannot find the reference?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
If I remember correctly, the PPAP manual requires a significant production run of 300 pieces to produce PPAP samples. The capability study requirement is 100 pieces from that 300 piece run.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The default requirement (found in the 3rd Edition PPAP manual) is a minimum 300-piece production run. For the "initial process study" the default requirement (found in the same place) is x-bar/R charting with a minimum of 25 subgroups and 100 data points with sampling done during the PPAP production run. Either requirement may be changed to suit the circumstances, with customer approval. The expectations should always be discussed with the customer when the default requirements don't make sense.

W

wslabey

Thanks, but where is it stated in the PPAP manual? My eyes have glazed over trying to find the "shall" or direct reference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
wslabey said:
Thanks, but where is it stated in the PPAP manual? My eyes have glazed over trying to find the "shall" or direct reference.

Sorry, but at the moment I don't have a manual handy. Look for "Significant Production Run" and "Initial Process Study" in the first 7 or 8 pages of the manual.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
JSW05 said:
Sorry, but at the moment I don't have a manual handy. Look for "Significant Production Run" and "Initial Process Study" in the first 7 or 8 pages of the manual.

The 100 piece requirement was on page 6. The significant production run of 300 was before that.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
There are in fact 2 separate requirements
First a significant production run which is defined on page 2 as "shall be from one to eight hours of production ....a minimum of 300 consecutive(emphasis is original) parts.
Second page 6 at least 100 readings

The only connection between the 2 numbers is in Note 4 to I.2.2.9 where the 100 pieces for the capability study are from the "significant production run"

W

wslabey

Howard Atkins said:
There are in fact 2 separate requirements
First a significant production run which is defined on page 2 as "shall be from one to eight hours of production ....a minimum of 300 consecutive(emphasis is original) parts.
Second page 6 at least 100 readings

The only connection between the 2 numbers is in Note 4 to I.2.2.9 where the 100 pieces for the capability study are from the "significant production run"

Howard,

Thanks. :thanx: It was just TOO obvious to find on page 1. Often I find the AIAG manuals are a bit opaque and feel more like I am reading the federal register. I am dealing with low volume production parts for automotive aftermarket accessories sold to the OEM and 300 piece runs pretty much equal annual production volumes so we're going to revert to 30 piece initial studies using XmR charts to plot Ppk.

M

martin elliott

Possible solution?

wslabey said:
Howard,

Thanks. :thanx: It was just TOO obvious to find on page 1. Often I find the AIAG manuals are a bit opaque and feel more like I am reading the federal register. I am dealing with low volume production parts for automotive aftermarket accessories sold to the OEM and 300 piece runs pretty much equal annual production volumes so we're going to revert to 30 piece initial studies using XmR charts to plot Ppk.

May not be relevant, but the Truck OEM rules within the PPAP manual Section II.4.3 & .4 might be an aid to negotiations to the customer as "reasonable" in this circumstance?

Martin
Older but not getting any Wiser!

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
wslabey said:
Howard,

:bigwave:
In general and not specific at all, you are just the opportunity to say it
The answers are all there it is just a matter of looking. It is amazing what you find when you actually read the standard/handbook etc.

Top Bottom