Man-Made Islands - Dubai - The World Islands

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Will YOUR retirement plan provide you with enough to retire here?​

the_world_islands_dubai.jpg

The same company that brought us The Palm Islands, Al Nakheel Properties (Nakheel Corp), have done it again expanding their portfolio of man-made islands with this latest Dubai island project shaped like the continents of the world. The World will consist of between 250 to 300 smaller private artifical islands divided into four categories - private homes, estate homes, dream resorts, and community islands. Each island will range from 250,000 to 900,000 square feet in size, with 50 to 100 metres of water between each island. The development is to cover an area of 9 kilometers in length and 6 kilometers in width, surrounded by an oval shaped breakwater. The only means of transportation between the islands will be by marine transport.

Construction has begun on the $US 1.8 billion project which is set to be completed by the end of 2005. It will be located 4 kilometers off the shore of Jumeirah, close to the The Palm Jumeirah, between Burj Al Arab and Port Rashid of Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). Each island will be sold to selected private developers and are expected to have pricing beginning at Dhs. 25 million (US$ 6.85 million).

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Huh! It's not likely, unless something strange happens--like I become a best-selling author. I'm working on it, heh.

I wouldn't mind having a residence in such a place, especially after the snow we've had in the past month here.

I rather liked Dubai when I was there. They even had a good Mexican Restaurant. The souqs (sp?) were fun to shop in. I was treated well.

Marc

Leader
If we pool our money and come up with about US$7,000,000 - We can buy one and rent it out!

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin
Marc said:
If we pool our money and come up with about US$7,000,000 - We can buy one and rent it out!
Heh, good idea! But my contribution will have to wait, as I am buying new glasses ($375, ouch!) for myself and now I must buy a pair for my daughter too. So, I must put off retirement for another day and get back to work on my best seller!

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin
Thanks Wes, that was thoughtful of you!

Unfortunately, there isn't a store within 100 miles of me. I am also pretty sure that not all prescriptions would qualify for that price.

I compared, and my eye doctor has prices equal to or better than the others.
My frames cost $60 which isn't much compared to many I've seen. It's the lenses that get me.

We'll try to just get a single replacement lens for my daughter, but her glasses are two years old so replacing them isn't a tragedy so much as the timing is kind of stinky.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Marc said:

LOL, Marc! If everybodies' savings looks like mine, we're gonna have to recruit more (or richer) members.

C

Craig H.

Gee, I wonder if there is any coorelation between the appearance of islands and the accounts in the "What are you paying for gasoline?" thread...

Marc

Leader
I guess in the event of a Tsunami, jump in personal helicopter / jet and get the heck out.

I

IEGeek - 2006

Private Islands are becoming very chic.

Richard Branson has Necker Island.
Mel Gibson just bought an island somewhere.

In the carribbean there are hundreds of private "islands" for sale, but only at low tide :biglaugh:

Pick up any issue of the Robb Report and it is filled with Private Islands for sale or rent. Most people worry about tsunamis and hurricanes and high waves. I worry about smaller stuff. How do I get a plumber out there to fix the toilet? At what cost? Where do I get my groceries? What do I do if I have a late night craving for a Rooty-Tooty Fresh and Fruity from IHOP? What if my better half decides she wants a new shower curtain, we have to get in the boat, then hop onto our private jet (if you have a private island, surely you have a private jet) fly to the nearest airport, rent a car (although I suppose you would have the use of a limo) and buy a $25 shower curtain at the Home Depot make the return trip and install it only to find out you bought the wrong style of hooks. Overall my new shower curtain cost me $190,000

I am going to love the island life, when can we go? :D

Top Bottom