Measurable objectives for our in-house calibration department

D

dmcgriff

Hello Forum,
I am looking for some measurable targets and objectives for our in-house calibration department that are measurable. What metrics do you use to let the program if they are meeting their goals? I believe all departments should have written objectives and goals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyN

Moved On
Hello Forum,
I am looking for some measurable objectives for our in-house calibration department. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why not derive them yourself? What's the reason you calibrate equipment at your organization?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Given the requirements for uncertainty called out in 17025, I can expect metrics specific to that nature.

Otherwise, 17025 calls out requirements for maintaining certain atmospheric conditions; otherwise, beyond that which is specifically called out in 17025 I would expect further metrics to support the business case, if any.
:2cents:

AndyN

Moved On
Good question, Jennifer. Maybe the OP can shed some light on whether they're asking about the highest level of performance of the calibration function - without that, the rest is a nice thing, but might miss the entire point...

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hello Forum,
I am looking for some measurable targets and objectives for our in-house calibration department that are measurable. What metrics do you use to let the program if they are meeting their goals? I believe all departments should have written objectives and goals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
When you say ... "for our in-house calibration department" ... What is your industry or business ?

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I can come up with a few measurable metrics that I have used in the past. Even though some of these may not seem to apply to an "internal" lab you should have the same quality and performance goals as a commercial lab - even though they may be internal to your company they are still your customers.

Some that apply to any lab:

Turnaround time - having a goal and your performance towards meeting it
Overdue instruments - both your standards and your "customer" items, if you have control over the recall
Productivity - calibrations per man-hour
Customer satisfaction metrics, including complaints and returns
Training metrics - setting goals and achieving them

Analyzing your % out of tolerance of instruments can give you a load of information - validating your calibration intervals, finding classes of instruments that are prone to failure, groups of users who may be hard on their instruments, etc.

In all of these you should set a target (like >95% instruments in tolerance, turnaround time < 5 working days, etc.) and analyze the data to gauge your performance. Pick metrics that have value to your organization.

Have you ever done a customer satisfaction survey with your users? That might give you considerable insight as to how others in your organization view your strengths and shortcomings - more areas to measure performance.

D

dmcgriff

Thank You all for the responses and feedback. These are all great recommendation.

Top Bottom