Military Program - Physical configuration Audit (PCA)

K

Kwilson

I'm not sure if I have this in the right forum for this, but has anyone here ever been through a Physical Configuration Audit from the US Government - Military?

B

BadgerMan

Re: military priogram - Physical configuration Audit (PCA)

Yes, we went through one not too long ago. Although I was not directly involved, I did help those who were involved prepare for the event.

Do you have a specific question regarding the PCA?

D

ddunn

Re: military priogram - Physical configuration Audit (PCA)

Yes, I have conducted several Physical Configuration Audits for the US military.

Do you have a specific problem?

K

Kwilson

I'm mostly looking at the general thoughts, of what to expect, what needs to be ready, what's the most common thing auditors have troubles with, what's the biggest common mistake by contractors. No one here has been through one before, and we all have different opinions of what we need to accomplish before the actual audit.

Here's the way I'm approaching it. I have all the part drawings, broken down from top level assemblies all the way to materials. For each of those I have all associated FAI information (for every rev. of a part/drawing), both from our vendors and our own inspection department. I also have all of the approval letters to the vendors, documented MRB decisions, Material variance reports, and any other documentation to go with each drawing. All is stored by part number, and is updated regularly, as parts are updated or a revision change is made.

Is this a good start, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

B

BadgerMan

It sounds like you have a good start on the necessary supporting materials for the audit. Has it been requested that you develop a written plan for the audit? That was a requirement of our customer. It was written, submitted, and apporved in advance of the audit.

D

ddunn

Very good start. Now make sure that the product matches the documents. Big hits I've seen are proper labels, verify torque on screws, correct components as called out by the BOMs.

K

Kwilson

Yes, I'm working on the plan to be submitted in the near future. The actual audit is not for a while, but I prefer to be ready well in advance.

Thanks for all your help.

Q

QualityNo1

Yes, you are on the right track. Once you have created your plan, do yourself a favour, carry out an "inhouse dry run" before the client comes. This way, you can verify you have it right (i.e. what the paper audit tells you should be there, is physically there (PCA)).

My PCA took place for the Australian Military and the biggest issues we found were (1) Documentation did not (in some cases) match what was physically installed into the equipment we were offering (2) Correct labelling (as mentioned earlier) & (3) We did not have our 'alternate part number list' handy at time of audit.

Hope this helps and Good Luck
Steve:cfingers:

K

kiwisfly

Hi KWilson, some further information for your reference.

Physical Configuration Audit

The physical configuration audit is the formal examination of the as-built version of the component / assembly / structure or software against the baselined technical documentation (drawings, specification, code) defining the component.

Typically used for a modification project, the PCA assures that changes to be included in the modified component, assembly or software release to be delivered are really included and that all required items of data, procedures, and documentation are included. Audit reports are prepared to document the results of the PCA and are used in the same reviews as the reports of the Functional Configuration Audit (FCA) that will follow.

I hope this helps

Cheers,:bigwave:

Top Bottom