Cost Down! - Reduce Manpower

J

JUNGA

Dear Sirs
Pls help share yrs idea that ......
*how to match between "cost down" and "quality" by reduce manpower?

Scope : On material incoming. How to Vendor Quality Assurance(VQA) do?
By old process as AQL sampling plan but new process as STS (ship to store)

*I saw in Elsmar have DTS (Dock to Stock) , STS (Ship to Store)
How it's difference? and I can called material send direct to stock by
vendors/suppliers manage for their quality, right?

*How to quality innovation?

Best Regards!
JUNGA:thanx:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hello Junga!

Welcome to the Cove!

Forgive me in advance, but I am having a difficult time understanding some of your questions. So, please be patient. I think you may have several questions here, so I broke it into sections.

Dear Sirs

Are you asking if it is possible to lower cost by reducing manpower while maintaining quality, or that quality and cost will both go down with reduced manpower? You have three variables here-lowered costs, quality, and reducing manpower, and I am not sure how you want them to go together. Can you elaborate?

Dear Sirs

Are you asking how to do Vendor quality assurance, or what our opinion is of it?

Are you replacing AQL with STS? Or are you wondering if we have replaced AQL with other tools?
*I saw in Elsmar have DTS (Dock to Stock) , STS (Ship to Store)
How it's difference? and I can called material send direct to stock by
vendors/suppliers manage for their quality, right?

*How to quality innovation?

I am assuming that you saw DTS and STS somewhere in the Elsmar Cove. Are you wondering how it is used?

I guess in general are you interested in specific application-type information, or are you just wondering opinion-type information?

As far as quality innovation, it depends on what type of innovation you are referring to. Many here utilize the same proven quality tools that Deming and other quality pioneers have been utilizing for decades.

There is much room for Innovation, though, such as demonstrating to companies the bottom-line value of quality activities, and the need for not looking at quality as an overnight, quick fix for long-term problems.

I hope my reply has not been confusing. At your convenience, please repost some more information, and we'll be better able to help you.

J

JUNGA

Thanks for yr reply at first for help me.
Yes! I'm asking if it is possible to lower cost by reducing manpower while maintaining quality.
Also, I'm explained more for yr question.

Are you replacing AQL with STS?
- Yes! by planning and I worry for reducing manpower for decrease labor cost.
Now I called DTS (Direct to Stock) but it's not have normal procedue for adopt-adapt with working.
So, I'm found Elsmar Cove said about STS. Now I'm studied it.

Or are you wondering if we have replaced AQL with other tools?
- If possible, Pls help advise another tools that can replace AQL and match with reducing manpower.

I am assuming that you saw DTS and STS somewhere in the Elsmar Cove. Are you wondering how it is used?
- Yes! it's highest risk for quality loss to production by suppliers.
So, Now I worry about how to? manage quality of suppliers after DTS/STS start.
Even if suppliers will good quality but have chance for loss.

I guess in general are you interested in specific application-type information, or are you just wondering opinion-type information?
- I interested in specfic application-type inforamtion of this.
:)

Hello JUNGA, and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:. As you can see, I moved your question to the Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics forum, where I hope we will get more answers.

/Claes

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome Junga.

Anytime we use direct-to-stock there is some risk of bad product slipping through. So, take care in your approval process and consider some sample inspections if any doubt remains.

Use certificates of compliance and/or certificates of conformance from suppliers you decide you can trust. If you don't want to keep copies on site you can write availability into your contracts: Being able to get a copy within a certain time after request.

Here is a site with a procedure for developing suppliers. http://www.sss-i.com/supplier quality.doc.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Dear Sirs

If I understood your query...in THEORY is simple: Provided that you had HIGH confidence in your suppliers, you could significantly reduce or even eliminate incoming inspection. By eliminating incoming inspection, you reduce your costs, not only by not having to pay inspectors, but also by avoiding inspection, measuring and test devices (and associated calibration), less moving of parts (Dock to Stock), etc...

However, most companies make procurement decisions based heavily on price. And, typically, the reliable suppliers that could and should be considered for DTS programs are not the "cheap" ones.

So...by buying from "cheap suppliers", you are "forced" into maintaining and enhancing your incoming inspection, TRYING to sort the bad from the good parts. I empasized trying because inspection, as we all know, is not 100% effective in catching defective parts.

An organization could try to quantify the costs of doing business one way or the other. But, in theory and in principle, one could avoid all costs associated with incoming inspection by screening, developing and partnering with reliable suppliers. The "developed and enlightened" organizations are marching towards that, but it is a cultural shift for many. Especially for Purchasing functions having to understand that the price of incoming goods is not the only factor determining the cost of doing business with that supplier.

J

JUNGA

Hi All
Thanks for Claes Gefvenberg that move my problem to correct forum.
Thanks for Jennifer Kirley that give me developing suppliers procedure.
And Thanks for Sidney Vianna advise.

Regards!
JUNGA
:thanks:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Yes! I'm asking if it is possible to lower cost by reducing manpower while maintaining quality.

First, I would start by developing a definition of quality for our discussion. Let' say quality is conformance to specifications. So, your product either conforms, or it doesn't.

As far as reducing manpower, I don't think I would be honest with myself if I did not respond that reduction in manpower generally does affect operations. People have to do more work than before, and many times, some things are set to the side because there seems to not be enough time/effort. I would not summarily equate reduction to reduced quality, though.

Are you in a position to reduce manpower, or is this a hypothetical situation?

Are you sure that lowering manpower will reduce costs? And what manpower are you wanting to reduce? If you are wanting to reduce the quality staff, I would not think that would bolster the quality program at your organization.

I guess I still don't see enough information to provide any type of opinion as to whether lowering costs/manpower will affect the quality program. But.... quality is something the entire organization, and every person in it, should have embedded in their jobs, their hearts, and their minds every day they show up to work. It's not something a few people do in the back department.

Top Bottom